What The Updates On New Forum?

you must mean the political section. well for one thing later today in about 3 hours we're have a special meeting with all the Admins and Mods and one of the main topics is going to be that section. we were going to have it earlier but some between the holidays and personal family problems wouldn't allow it. it should be finalized soon. it's not as easy as just sticking a new section and we're thinking things out. we want it done right the first time so that we and others will be prepared and so that all the us Mods and Admins know what to do, how far to go, and so that everyone is on the same page and same set of rules and what not. we truly care about you guys and just don't want to screw anything up.

sorry for the wait please bare with us. it should be up soon after this meeting.

for now if you feel the need to there are several other forums with political sections and i've even seen some forums dedicated to those discussions.

Edited by macmarauder

Hello Mac,

My worry about the new special debate section, that even with it being set apart and with sign up just for that section, that some of the debate feelings...whether of anger, or intensity, or insistence to get point across and 'make' people accept that as only opinion allowed as has happened on other boards such as the old Leoville board...might spill over to the rest of the board in bad feelings or whatever other left over feelings there might be.

Is a debate section really needed here? When there are lots of other places on the net that do have debate sections, so why do we need one?

How many members really want one? I sure don't. Has there been a poll done on it? If so I missed it.

This board is the best board, so peaceful and such a blessing to all of us...I just hate to think of something harming that serenity directly or indirectly.

Pat

God bless everyone

Hello Mac,

My worry about the new special debate section, that even with it being set apart and with sign up just for that section, that some of the debate feelings...whether of anger, or intensity, or insistence to get point across and 'make' people accept that as only opinion allowed as has happened on other boards such as the old Leoville board...might spill over to the rest of the board in bad feelings or whatever other left over feelings there might be.

Is a debate section really needed here? When there are lots of other places on the net that do have debate sections, so why do we need one?

How many members really want one? I sure don't. Has there been a poll done on it? If so I missed it.

This board is the best board, so peaceful and such a blessing to all of us...I just hate to think of something harming that serenity directly or indirectly.

Pat

God bless everyone

Hi Pat

I certainly understand your concerns here, and to tell the truth...we feel the same reservations as you've pointed out here, but it has been a request from more than a couple of members and we're willing to give it a try.

Don't be too worried, we have faith that our members have the maturity and respect for other's that is needed for this to work, but if it starts to become a problem for the rest of the forums, it will be closed permanently.

We wish to allow everyone a chance to speak their minds here at BT, and these topics have come up enough to make us think that its at least worth a try, and we'll give it a chance to work. The rules will clearly state that this forum is in a TRIAL STATE and that any spillover or disruption to the main forums due to the P&R forum, will spell the end of that trial. Also that the respect of members with differing views is an absolute MUST for them to be allowed to continue to post there.

We know that these are touchy subjects and thats why almost every forum stays clear of them, but we're also hoping that the friendly reputation our members have will allow this forum to remain civil...for the most part. We've thought on this allot and talked it over even more, thats why it's taken so long to get it going, but like I said...we're willing to give it a shot at working.

We won't allow it to cause harm to this place Pat, be assured that the continued serenity of our home comes first and foremost!!

Edited by Chappy

Thanks for the reply Chappy.

I sure hope it doesn't cause any toxic overflow to the boards, or into PMs either.

Sorry I am late getting back to this.

We've had some nasty weather in Washington and here in Oregon, wind and lots of rain (causing flooding, mudslides, trees down, even some houses too, power outages, lightning too....ugh!!!), and more rain to come. So I have been unplugged part of the time...about every other day I think, just in case. But thankfully we are ok here, and hubby is taking safest route to work to avoid mudslides etc.

'When it rains, it pours' is sure a truism this winter for the western side of our NW's Cascade mountains.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Thanks for the reply Chappy.

I sure hope it doesn't cause any toxic overflow to the boards, or into PMs either.

Sorry I am late getting back to this.

We've had some nasty weather in Washington and here in Oregon, wind and lots of rain (causing flooding, mudslides, trees down, even some houses too, power outages, lightning too....ugh!!!), and more rain to come. So I have been unplugged part of the time...about every other day I think, just in case. But thankfully we are ok here, and hubby is taking safest route to work to avoid mudslides etc.

'When it rains, it pours' is sure a truism this winter for the western side of our NW's Cascade mountains.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Hi Pat

No Prob luv!

We also hope it's not a huge mistake to make this new forum too..

Funny you should mention the odd weather you're having tho, I just finished posting a thread on this very subject just now, I hope you'll read it and add your opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously ! I think you should have one. I have been a member of World start for just about 2 years now. We have one over there and yes it gets a little heated in their, but ! as the ole saying goes, if you can't take the heat in the kitchen, then get out. I personally seldom if ever post in RP&C. I call it the shark tank, but that should not stop you from opening a board like that. I would like to think the people here are as responsible here as we are at WS.

We also never have anything spill over from RP&C. to any of our messaqge boards.

Are off topic board gets a little wacky at times, but everyone acts like adults.

I really don't see what the big deal is over haveing a RP&C. board here is. I can almost promise you, you will see me seldom post in it, but I love to read.

If you have you're RP&C. board moderated right and everyone follows the rules. Then really, what the big deal ?

Sorry if I come accross a little strong. I do however understand both sides of the argument.

Do what we do at World start. Require a membership for that board. At WS. even myself as a member had to sign up to even be able to view the RP&C. much lone post.

This way, you cover all your bases. I think it's simple. Add the board.

Have a great day everyone, smile. :)

I have been a member of World start for just about 2 years now.

Lately seems all anyone does in *OT* over there Shadow is see how many *Posts of Useless Things* they can do...

:D

But ! none the less. There a good bunch of nuts. :lol: Myself includeing. :lol:

i agree with shadow

i to used to post to the section

at world start

and it was closed down at one stage

because of the anger overspilling to pms ect

more so when the topic was bout gays and the

jewish community and politics

but after a few months or weeks [cant remember how long[

they reopened it

and renamed it

some of those members either left

or was suspended.

i do not see a lot of the names from

when i first started

i was nominated by

bill mallenson and tommy baseball

and have been a member for

about two years and so many months

at first a just read and posted the

odd question

but the reason i stayed on there were

the odd new zealander and plenty of australians

used to post

so yes i hope the board considers some sort of forum

much similiar

perhaps not as contriversal as

world start.

marty

Edited by martymas

there is a poll pinned in this section of our boards, Please cast your vote if you haven't already done so. based on how the vote turns out we will make our decision on whether or not to start this forum.

1 vote per member, no admins or Mods are allowed to cast a vote since we have to maintain a neutral state on this forum should it come to life.

you must mean the political section. well for one thing later today in about 3 hours we're have a special meeting with all the Admins and Mods and one of the main topics is going to be that section. we were going to have it earlier but some between the holidays and personal family problems wouldn't allow it. it should be finalized soon. it's not as easy as just sticking a new section and we're thinking things out. we want it done right the first time so that we and others will be prepared and so that all the us Mods and Admins know what to do, how far to go, and so that everyone is on the same page and same set of rules and what not. we truly care about you guys and just don't want to screw anything up.

sorry for the wait please bare with us. it should be up soon after this meeting.

for now if you feel the need to there are several other forums with political sections and i've even seen some forums dedicated to those discussions.

I'd like one, but won't sleep over not having one.

Seems like the logical thing to do.

If some people can't handle disagreements, don't go there.

If some moron starts carrying on in other parts of the site or sends offensive PMs because of something they didn't like, cut them off.

One site I visited recently has seperate sections for different orientations. For instance, there's a section just for liberal discussion and a seperate section for the right wing types.

That way you can share opinions with people that are somewhat like-minded. You can still debate issues of course, but I think most folks would rather hobnob with others that are somewhat on the same page politically. I, for one, have no interest in debating a Bush supporter. What would be the point of it? I'm not going to change my opinion of him, and really don't feel the need to debate the opposing view.

That in itself would cut out a lot of the flame wars.

Just my opinion.

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

I dont mind the forum, but as long Religion and Politic is seperated. Politic with it own forum, and Religion with it own forum. Im very non-religious, but i do repected people's religion. Im just dont want to see religion thread with politic thread. it really turn my brain off. Im a realist.

I dont mind the forum, but as long Religion and Politic is seperated. Politic with it own forum, and Religion with it own forum. Im very non-religious, but i do repected people's religion. Im just dont want to see religion thread with politic thread. it really turn my brain off. Im a realist.

Sounds good, but what if a subject comes up that is both? :blink:

I think we need a "Conspiracies" type section to :blush:

Sounds good, but what if a subject comes up that is both? :blink:

I think we need a "Conspiracies" type section to :blush:

then dont allow religious comment/post/thread in Politic forum. or something

That would exclude many popular political debates. Intelligent design, abortion, death penalty, terrorism, the role of religion in politics, etc.

Edited by jcl

yup, I have a feeling that it will all be connected, but that's OK....we will all LEARN a LOT and perhaps form new opinions from this new forum if it is instituted. We all get along so well and most of all, cherish each others opinions, whether we agree or not, and we will remain friendly no matter what happens, right folks?. Dinnertable arguements amongst family makes us all much more informed and smarter in the long run.

Most importantly--for or against, please VOTE!

Liz

yup, I have a feeling that it will all be connected, but that's OK....we will all LEARN a LOT and perhaps form new opinions from this new forum if it is instituted. We all get along so well and most of all, cherish each others opinions, whether we agree or not, and we will remain friendly no matter what happens, right folks?. Dinnertable arguements amongst family makes us all much more informed and smarter in the long run.

Liz

"cherish each others opinions"

I like the way you think Liz.

That's a great way to look at things. Although I can't say I can do it.

I'll try harder.

Joe

That would exclude many popular political debates. Intelligent design, abortion, death penalty, terrorism, the role of religion in politics, etc.

i just relized that before i went to bed with my great dane.

Well, im willing to hear religious stuff on politics, as long they make sense. not off the point.

Liz

Liz, you always put things in a positive perspective. :thumbsup:

To respect and cherish each other and their opinions, is very much needed, here and everywhere.

I thought maybe I'd add the link to the poll for those like me, who only go to View New Posts rather than main index. So here it is folks, vote your preference for or against the proposed new Politics and Religion section.

Poll For Or Against New Section for Politics and Religion Debates

Love to all the BestTechie family. :wub:

Pat

God bless everyone