Im having a strange problem with my LCD backlight. It just randomly turns off and the only way to get it back on is to restart the computer. I tried unplugging both the power and the connection to my VGA and then replacing both but that didnt help and also lots of combinations of that. Also tried unplugging the power and connection to the VGA and only putting back the power. Normally a little blue box pops up saying there is no signal but all that happened is that the backlight went on for about 2 seconds and then turned off. I could see the box appear in the back faintly so I know its the backlight. The only way I could get it to appear again was to plug everything back in and restart my computer. This is really confusing because in one way it looks like a VGA problem and in another way it looks like my monitors problem. Can a VGA turn off a backlight on a LCD in the first place?

It's not entirely clear: When the light goes out, can you make out the "no signal" box? That would implicate the video card, plug or cable.

Not sure if you're using the term "VGA" in a non-standard way. VGA is the standard for what gets shown onscreen. Do you mean the VGA connector? The connector is designed to transfer the the signals generated using the VGA standard (hence it's called a VGA connector, it has enough wires and pins to transmit the information in a VGA signal).

What is the brand & type of video card or onboard video? Could this be an overheating problem? (Not likely if this is an older card or less-capable one.) If it overheats it certainly could just "shut down." The time it takes for a reboot could allow it to cool enough to work again.

sry i was using vga as a video card. I can barely see the no signal box. The backlight on the LCD goes out. There is still something on the screen but its hard to see cause there is no backlight. My card is a RAdeon 9800 and I just placed a PCI fan under it so i doubt that it would be overheating. I dont think a Video card can turn off the backlight of a LCD

Yeah, unless there's some functionality I'm not aware of, the video card does not turn off the monitor.

That's the job of the BIOS or OS energy-saving settings -- That is, if it is being "turned off" as opposed to going dead. If it's actually being turned off by an energy saving setting check the BIOS (access to the BIOS varies by brand) or the OS settings (Windows: Control Panel, I have mine disabled so I'm not sure what the icon is ... Power?). To troubleshoot if the power's being turned off, temporarily disable any power saving settings.

Some troubleshooting ideas if the signal is just going blank; reseat the video card, use another connection cable, try another monitor (doesn't sound like the monitor, it displays something even when blanked out, but you expressed concern that it might be).

it sounds like a non energy-complient monitor. I have some arcade VGA monitors that when power saveing kicks in they say no signal.. in a lcd this would turn off the backlight (hence energey saving..)

also if you hit the space bar does it come back? or are you just rebooting?

and as TheTerrorist_75 said.. if its old the backlight could be going out.. but your no signal is a drop of clock on pin 15 (your dcc clock).

need more information

brand video card

OS

brand monitor

VGA/DVI ext... no generic terms please

Edited by iccaros

the monitor is new. Just got it in april

Normally the screen gives off its own light illuminating what the pixels are showing. Whats happening is that light turns off. The pixes are still displaying something. If it were a energy saving function that the entire screen would turn off and go into standby. The light would turn orange. Moving the mouse would normally bring it back. Thats not happening.

the monitor is new. Just got it in april

Normally the screen gives off its own light illuminating what the pixels are showing. Whats happening is that light turns off. The pixes are still displaying something. If it were a energy saving function that the entire screen would turn off and go into standby. The light would turn orange. Moving the mouse would normally bring it back. Thats not happening.

you said you see this

Normally a little blue box pops up saying there is no signal

are you saying it happen even wiht out this .. or it is always displaying this but its hard to read for no backlight?

Edited by iccaros

Its not always displaying that box. It only does if i remove the cables and only plug the power cable back in. Oh and another thing. I found a way to get the backlight back on another way. I unplug it and leave it for a minute or two and the plug it back in. The back light comes back. I think its just the backlight failing then. Iv already emailed view sonic about it. surprising through since its less then a year old. It seems everything I baught from newegg is failing. Videocard , Harddrive, Keyboard and mobo lol. Im probably really unlucky.

Edited by Sir_Siddy