Netgear Router Question

Unfortunately, the individual in question had returned the router in question before I had a chance to look things over; so this is not from personal experience. I just wondered if anyone could confirm or deny this.

He says he bought a new netgear 108Mbps wifi router (Presumably this model http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGU624.php

He just wanted a home network; not internet sharing.

He says that whether he tried to set up manually or using their software CD, that it would not allow him to proceed without having a broadband connection hooked up and if he did connect it for setup; it would not work as a home network if he disconnected the broadband connection.

I do notice that under system requirements, at the bottom they do specify a broadband connection. However; I always presumed that meant if you wanted to share one.

I have never needed to be connected to the internet to set up a router manually; wireless or otherwise. So I just wondered if anyone new if this was a feature of some netgear routers or if it was just that he had overlooked the obvious and it was possible to do if you did a manual setup correctly.

To early in the morning; so pardon me if I have mangled this.

The idea of a router is to split an internet connection up among differnt computers, however i wouldnt think they would make you have one, i know my linksys WRT54G doesnt make you have an active broadband connection. Maybe it is something to do with how netgear designs their routers after all if he just wanted a home network why buy a router? a switch is usually cheeper and would be perfect for what he wants to do. A switch is like a router except doesnt have an internet (WAN) port. However later on if he needed the internet for his networked computers the switch should allow it. Hope that helps