Partitions For 250g Drive

Setting up my system in a few days (as you might have noticed by my various questions in different topics)...

But I have a Western Digital 250G SATA-300 Hard Drive and I planned on partitioning it for efficiency

I already know that I want 3 separate partitions, Operating system, Applications, and Junk (MP3's and Movies)

What capacity would you recommend for XP? Applications? and so on?

Also, would you recommend any other partitions?

Give yourself at least 20GB for XP. Split the rest 50/50.

If it were me I would just setup a 40-50GB partition for XP and programs then leave the remainder for whatever. Just use the two partitions. Save any important stuff on the second partition so if you ever have to reinstall you won't lose it. Of course leaving it as one partition and backing up your stuff would be a better option according to some people.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

My main reason for partitioning is for performance and organization. I think a 50G partition for XP and programs would be good. I will most likely divide the remaining 200G into two more partitions for better organization.

I downloaded a multi-use Windows Ultimate Boot CD with several programs I can use to partition.

I already know that XP needs to be on a NTFS file system, but do I also make the other paritions NTFS?

ALWAYS leave a sizable area as Unallocated (not just unused) for emergency usage. I've found it invaluable to have this available space to make an emergency partition or two as a need arises. It can be made into an emergency OS partition if your main OS fails, and you need to access for data retrieval.

I've also used it as a swap space when rearranging my partitions due to sizing requirements, I can make a quick partition and move stuff I need to it, resize my other ones, and move it back when done.

Make your XP part at least 20G, I've gone up to 25 now, where I started at 15G before. It just seems to be a size that allows for any expansion the OS needs for me.

Actually, seeing that "Choose an Operating System" screen isn't so bad (to me) if you set the Timeout down to (say) 3 seconds.

It counts down then starts booting the default choice fast enough that I don't mind the small delay.

I keep my BOOT.INI file set to allow a choice of Normal, Safe Mode, Clean, or Recovery Console.

Instead of trying to hit F8 at just the right time to choose Safe Mode, I have 3 seconds to hit the down arrow key (which stops the countdown).

(Actually any key would probably do this).

I love the idea of having a clean copy of XP on a separate partition for emergencies.

Technically this is a violation of the XP EULA (unless you own a second copy/license).

I hope Microsoft will change their position on that (I won't hold my breath though).

Fair Use should allow multiple copies on the same machine.

I'll be sure to purchase an extra copy ;) (<- That's a wink, just so you know)

What size partition would you recommend for my emergency partition?

So far I'm thinking

50G - XP and Applications

100G - Random Junk (Movie's and such)

100G - More Random Junk (Music ect.)

Whatever the necessary amount for my backup XP is, I'll subtract it from the two junk paritions