Looking To Upgrade From Prosavage To ?

I'm currently using my eMachine T2200 desktop with the factory installed Prosavage. I saw this post below and am needing advise/instruction on how to disable as stated below and I'd like to upgrade to a TV in/out card. I don't need the best out there but just want to improve on what I already have to work with..I need suggestions on what I could and whats compatible to use, model numbers for a video card ect ect.. TIA..

(The ProSavageDDR graphics function is contained within the Northbridge chip itself, and, as such, cannot be changed or upgraded. It can, however, be disabled, (in most cases) on a desktop system, and a separate video card may be used in it's place. Desktop systems that use the ProSavageDDR, (ProSavage 8), almost always have an AGP slot, so if a replacement video card is being considered, that would be the best solution. Alternately, a PCI-based card can be used if there isn't an AGP slot available. Either way, there is a great potential for improved performance over the integrated graphics, as well as the benefit of having up to 32Mb of RAM returned for system use that was previously being used for graphics.)

T2200 Specifications

AMD Athlon™ XP 2200+ Processor (1.80 GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

VIA KM 266

512 MB DDR (PC 2100)

100 GB (7200 RPM) HDD 1

40x12x40x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD

S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)

AC '97 Audio

10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet

56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem

Premium Multi-Media Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Amplified Speakers

3 IEEE 1394 ports (2 on front), 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)

It has an AGP slot. Someone should be able to recommend a good card.

T2200 Specifications

S3 ProSavage8â„¢ integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)

3 PCI slots (2 available)

Thanks Anti - Maybe someone here knows or has used some cards they could recommend...I don't know where to start..

I'm currently using my eMachine T2200 desktop with the factory installed Prosavage. I saw this post below and am needing advise/instruction on how to disable as stated below and I'd like to upgrade to a TV in/out card. I don't need the best out there but just want to improve on what I already have to work with..I need suggestions on what I could and whats compatible to use, model numbers for a video card ect ect.. TIA..

(The ProSavageDDR graphics function is contained within the Northbridge chip itself, and, as such, cannot be changed or upgraded. It can, however, be disabled, (in most cases) on a desktop system, and a separate video card may be used in it's place. Desktop systems that use the ProSavageDDR, (ProSavage 8), almost always have an AGP slot, so if a replacement video card is being considered, that would be the best solution. Alternately, a PCI-based card can be used if there isn't an AGP slot available. Either way, there is a great potential for improved performance over the integrated graphics, as well as the benefit of having up to 32Mb of RAM returned for system use that was previously being used for graphics.)

I cannot decide if you are asking or advising here. If you are advising you need to post a reply to the post you are refering to. If you are asking how to disable the onboard Graphics it is Obvious in the BIOS if you boot into it. I have basically the same system had it done in 5 secs 2years ago. For those who cannot afford a new GPU and do not need gaming perfomance (like you'd get from the savage) you can adjust to 16mb instead of 32mb which is adequate to do most common stuff.

Preston

T2200 Specifications

S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)

3 PCI slots (2 available)

Thanks Anti - Maybe someone here knows or has used some cards they could recommend...I don't know where to start..

I use a ATI 9200 but that was a couple of years ago. Before you upgrade the GPU get a new Powersupply a new GPU will put a strain on the the tiny Powersupply common to all emachines. This is esspecially so for nvidia card they tend to require more power but even the old ATI 9200 I have will tax the Standard Powersupply of a emachine. (I love emachines the PS has always been the weakness).

Preston

I cannot decide if you are asking or advising here. If you are advising you need to post a reply to the post you are refering to. If you are asking how to disable the onboard Graphics it is Obvious in the BIOS if you boot into it. I have basically the same system had it done in 5 secs 2years ago. For those who cannot afford a new GPU and do not need gaming perfomance (like you'd get from the savage) you can adjust to 16mb instead of 32mb which is adequate to do most common stuff.

Preston

Thanks for your reply Preston - I'm asking as I want to upgrage my APG card to (tv in/out) and saw this http://tinyurl.com/8tgvp and I'm not sure what my T2200 could handle (Thats why I need recomindations) and I assume from my first post that my current prosavage had to be disabled if I added a new APG card..

Thanks for your reply Preston - I'm asking as I want to upgrage my APG card to (tv in/out) and saw this http://tinyurl.com/8tgvp and I'm not sure what my T2200 could handle (Thats why I need recomindations) and I assume from my first post that my current prosavage had to be disabled if I added a new APG card..

I can see no problems with any of the AGP cards I see, but as I stated the Powersupply will beyond doubt need to be changed.

Preston

I agree with Preston that a Power supply upgrade is probably in order also, you can get 400/450W PS for cheap nowadays, to fit any machine.

If you're just looking for a very decent, affordable card with TV out, look at the ChainTech GeForce FX 5200, it's a very decent card, AGP 8X or you can get it for PCI, and it's very affordable.

I would consider this card as a good replacement for an onboard graphics chip, for medium duty gaming and such.

Edited by Chappy
I agree with Preston that a Power supply upgrade is probably in order also, you can get 400/450W PS for cheap nowadays, to fit any machine.

If you're just looking for a very decent, affordable card with TV out, look at the ChainTech GeForce FX 5200, it's a very decent card, AGP 8X or you can get it for PCI, and it's very affordable.

I would consider this card as a good replacement for an onboard graphics chip, for medium duty gaming and such.

Thanks guys, thats the info I was looking for..you've come through again ;O)