So i was actually googling monitor (CRT) cleaning and what not... so i tried window on my soft cloth... left streaks, and later i learn it can ruin ur monitor >_<

So then i tried water... left streaks >_<

How can i get it nice and clean?

Edited by fubz

The absolute best way is what's listed in the monitor's instruction manual.

For an LCD that's usually water & a soft cloth. No, it doesn't work well, but if you don't want to risk damaging anything that's all you should use. If you're careful about not over-wetting the screen you certainly can try mild detergents and cleaners, but if any works its way into the electronics, you're screwed.

As for the water & cloth, just let it dry (with the omnipresent streaks), then clean again & let that dry (still streaky), then again ... repeat until there are no noticeable streaks. Don't overdo the water trying to speed things up; water + electronics = trouble.

I usually just use a dry cloth like on my glasses. Something like a wash rag. good wipin keeps my glasses clear (i despise streaks on my glasses) and keeps my monitirs and TV's dust free and clean.

I toss mine in the back up the truck, head dow to the car wash....finish up with hot wax and streak free spray.

LOL

Vinegar/water and use old newspaper, not the colored pages ie the comics. I used to have to clean windows without leaving streaks or lint. The trick was the newspaper for lint.

Mike

I toss mine in the back up the truck, head dow to the car wash....finish up with hot wax and streak free spray.

LOL

Vinegar/water and use old newspaper, not the colored pages ie the comics. I used to have to clean windows without leaving streaks or lint. The trick was the newspaper for lint.

Mike

I tried using eye-glass cleaning solution on a LCD monitor. It just left streaks and stuff.

The first and most important point I have to make is never spray any cleaner on the screen of a monitor or television. It can (will ?) drip down behind the casing and onto any electronics in the way. Most of these cleaners contain vinegar or ammonia, both of which are reactive and can damage your electronics. At a minimum, they will be transferring dissolved material (dirt) from the screen to inside => not a good thing.

So, whatever cleaner you choose, you apply it to a soft lint free cloth (not a paper towel if possible, since the wood fiber can be abrasive).

I prefer old cotton T-Shirts but any soft cloth will be good.

I prefer to use just a dry cloth as a first clean to remove loose dust.

If it still needs cleaning, a cloth moistened with water and then polish dry with a dry cloth.

Many CRT screens have a coating applied to help prevent dust from sticking. Now, depending on what they actually used, any one of the cleaners could damage it; although I would think the "environmentally safe" orange oil based ones to be lowest risk.

Note that any plastic screen (LCD for example) you should not use an ammonia based product as it can cause the plastic to yellow, and alcohol can cause the plastic to loose plasticizers and become brittle and whitish.

Note that they do make specialized cleaning solutions for monitors, both crt and lcd. But I would suggest you get a few tshirts fresh from the dryer. (Whether or not to use fabric softner>? Well some suggest it may leave an oily sheen, but I think it is not visible and does prevent dust from being attracted).

Dust with one, moisten another and wipe clean , polish dry with the third and return them to the laundry bin.

The first and most important point I have to make is never spray any cleaner on the screen of a monitor or television. It can (will ?) drip down behind the casing and onto any electronics in the way.

Hey, I'll vouch on that one. I once sprayed some cleaner on my 19" CRT and the stuff ran down it, inside the case. I went to wipe and got a shocking experience.

I'm with Pete, damp cloth and dry it off, easy and cheap....which leads me to another question--is it safe to clean the monitor (I have the big clunky kind) when the idiot box is on? Or if the monitor is "sleeping" (you know, when the monitor turns itself off after 15 minutes, that energy saving feature thing...) I've always cleaned them when the idiot box is off, but sometimes I notice fingerprints when I'm online and they bother me; of course I forget to clean the monitor when I turn the thing off for the night!

And welcome to Besttechies, heroes and villians! Glad to have you here :thumbsup:

Liz

Go to you local Walmart or Kmart to the Automotive department (you can go to local grocery store in the cleaning supplies but you will pay more for two than you would for 8 at wally world) and look for 3M® Microfiber cloths™ (they don't have to be name brand) These work on LCDs and CRTs. Just dampen one (wring out almost dry) wipe the screen the follow up with a dry one. I have maintained my Laptops and Desktops this way for years (at least since 3M started making the cloths they were expensive then now 8 for 3 buck). You can also detail your car interior with just water with them, dust, remove spots on carpet, painted wall surfaces, kitchen cleaning, bathroom etc.

Preston

Edited by rhema7

I hate my monitor being dirty, thats why I cant use other peoples. I goto my friends house or what not and there are finger prints, food, dirt, and who knows waht else smeared all over it. It makes me sick

Thanks for the reminder to clean my monitor (and the TV)!!! It was so dirty no wonder I've been squinting at it lately!!! Now it is nice and clean and I can actually see stuff again. I just need to remember to clean it more often.

I agree with rhema 7 that those 3M type microfibre cloths are the best cleaning cloths, and the greatest thing is you don't need any other cleaning solutions besides water, just a damp half of cloth to wipe clean and rest to polish everything dry. I've used them for several years, great for the bathroom mirrors and faucets etc, also for windows, kitchen appliances, wet/dust mopping floors (I use the mop version), washing the car and a gazillion of other uses. Even helps remove cat hair from upholstery, or my slacks for that matter.

Do use different cloths for different purposes though, hubby gets his shop/car ones all greasy yuck don't want any of that residue on whatever I clean. Oh just machine wash them too, though I hang mine up to dry rather than use the dryer.

Pat

God bless everyone