Avast! Anti-virus Won't Update

Every once in awhile, I get a little red pop-up saying Avast could not update properly, and I click details and all i get is Information about current update:

Total time: 5 s

I have avast! version 4.6 Professional, I have Sygate Firewall, and i'm running Win XP Home SP2.

Thanks.

Every once in awhile, I get a little red pop-up saying Avast could not update properly, and I click details and all i get is Information about current update:

Total time: 5 s

I have avast! version 4.6 Professional, I have Sygate Firewall, and i'm running Win XP Home SP2.

Thanks.

See the total time 5 s?

My bet is that it tried to connect to the server, and for one reason or another at that particular moment it could not get through in five seconds (an enternity in computer time).

Most likely cause? Avast automatically looks for updates when it loads up when windows starts. Maybe your firewall is blocking all traffic, or your internet connection is not yet open when it first tries. Second most likely is that at that particular moment so many people are conecting to the server to get updates that it can't get through.

Final would be a hiccup where two backbones of the internet meet and exchange traffic and you are on one and the avast server is on another.

As long as this is not happening every time avast tries to update and as long as when you run a manual update later in the session it gets through and updates , I would not be concerned. Just remember, if it says it failed to update, go and manually check later before you shut down.