Hey Guys,

My new 200Gb Seagate HDD came in today. When i first plugged it in and booted into windows using my old HDD windows recognized the drive. So, I restarted my PC and attempted to install windows on the new drive. It got stuck at formating the drive. It just sat at 0%. So, i rebooted and tried again. This time it didnt recognize the drive at all.

It just sits their and clicks.

Is this POS dead?

I'm a little out of my element here on the clicking noise, but if it is making noise while it's spinning, It's a sign of a bad drive. I usually put my hand on it and if I feel knocking while spinning I know it's dying.

If the jumpers are right but windows won't install, it's time to return it. Sorry :(

I download Seagates HDD Wizard. It was able to get to the stage of copy my old files to the new hard drive, but then I got the blue screen of death.

It was able to partition the drive though. I tried installing window on on of the partitions, but that was when it just sat at 0%.

did you format?

I tried formatting using the XP disc but it never went past 0%.

EDIT:

Here's a time line

First HDD Set-up Attempt -Blue Screen Of Death

2nd - Hang Up On Formatting

3rd - Window XP Installation Stopped Recognizing the Drive

Edited by Bubba Bob

did you format?

I tried formatting using the XP disc but it never went past 0%.

EDIT:

Here's a time line

First HDD Set-up Attempt -Blue Screen Of Death

2nd - Hang Up On Formatting

3rd - Window XP Installation Stopped Recognizing the Drive

Do you have XP SP2 install cd? If not, you are faced with the 137GB drive size limit. There should either be a jumper to set or you can use the seagate disk prep tool on the CD to limit the drive to the size useable by OS other than XP SP2 .

I don't know a lot about routers... (because my hubby is the geek) But when we first set up ours we had a lot of disconnects. TheBrit kept changing the "something" (Ip address?) and finally we're good to go... Only time we get an interruption is when Charter goes down/out.