Christmas Lights Contest!

So, who doesnt enjoy stringing lights up year after year? Ok ok, who DOES enjoy stringing lights up year after year? Dunno about yall, but i usually end up cursing at a tangled mess of lights in my hand while doing a balancing act on a ladder in my yard. Eventualy though, they lights get hung, with or with out duct tape and nails :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I figured I'd start a lighting contest right here in BT. Im sure my butt will get stomped into the ground by some prick with a big budget and level roof, but its all in fun :D

So, post your pictures of your lighted yard and we can make up a poll at the end i guess. Or something like that.....

EDIT:

Ill post my pictures tomorow. After reviewing m photos, they are not contest worthy. Hehe. Im going to try and take some at dusk.

Edited by Bubba Bob

ok...but we put ours up in "phases.." so maybe by next weekend we'll have our finished product..more to come

oh..and why make a contest out of it...why don't we just share our pics and enjoy...?? JMO

Edited by screi
ok...but we put ours up in "phases.." so maybe by next weekend we'll have our finished product..more to come

oh..and why make a contest out of it...why don't we just share our pics and enjoy...?? JMO

Ahh. No fun in that.... :D Ok, if all yall want is to "enjoy" then I guess thats what we can do :unsure:

Personally I hate it. If the OL did not make me put them up I would not.

One year we were the first on the block to have them up and had just had a travel trailer delivered and it was parked in the driveway. I experienced my first home invasion robbery that night; five masked punks with sawed off shotguns ransacked my house looking for cash we did not have and stole my wallet and credit cards. Fortunately I keep a scan of them all along with the 800 numbers in several places (both in digital format and print) . But it was a real bother cleaning up afterwards and dealing with getting all the cards stopped and reissued.

But that is not my big gripe, Electricity is. It uses almost as much electricity as summer air conditioning. Just when I am getting used to lower utility bills, along comes Xmas and the damn lights. I was thinking of switching to the LED ones available at Lowes and Target this year.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/living/home/13140987.htm

That is low enough wattage I might just leave them up until summer.

(Actually , the OL makes me take them down after New Years , thinking it is bad luck to leave them up). Which is the final problem, if you put them up you have to take them back down.

LOL at Pete's comment! (about the wife, not the robbery, that's awful!) My parents have only one big argument a year. Over Christmas lights. Mom nags till Dad puts them up, Dad does a quick sloppy job to get it over with. Mom's artistic side steps in and wants Dad to fix the lights. There is a lyric to a song that says, "that's it, next year, YOU rig up the lights"....Oh, I heard that phase every single December :D Fortunately, because we expected "tops to be blown" every year, we always got a huge laugh over their yearly arguement.

Even now that my folks winter in Florida, I still hear about the Christmas Light Hollering Match...My Dad makes sure to call for "sympathy". :D

I also hear you about the electricity--I can't vacuum upstairs when the Christmas lights are on (and I only use 3 strings) Blows the circuit.

Liz

Well bah humbug then... I guess the days of taking pride in your yard are over and down with.

Sorry to hear that Peat. So, you think the lights were a big sign saying "We've got money, come rob me"? Ive never thought of that before.... **gets up and locks the door**

I understand about the electric bill, but my gas bill never comes out high enough in the winter to match my electric bill in the summer, so i guess the lights balance it out for me. hehe :D

(Thats my defense and im stickin to it :) )

Edited by Bubba Bob

Now wait a minute..... I just love doing my place every year. Do it the day after turkey day. Mines all done. Now if I can get a couple of good shots (bought a cheap dig. camera. have to take your time to get it good).

Used to do the multi-flashy thing. Now I do the trim and windows in green. (started to use the c7 type bulbs, have to get back to basics and away from everyone else) And red candles in the windows and red lights around the door.

Neighbors just love it. Looks christmasy, but not outlandish.

Sorry, My camera just con't do any justice to it. :( And these were the better. Maybe I should ask Santa for a good digital this year. :mellow:

flowers014.jpg

flowers012.jpg

Now wait a minute..... I just love doing my place every year. Do it the day after turkey day. Mines all done. Now if I can get a couple of good shots (bought a cheap dig. camera. have to take your time to get it good).

Used to do the multi-flashy thing. Now I do the trim and windows in green. (started to use the c7 type bulbs, have to get back to basics and away from everyone else) And red candles in the windows and red lights around the door.

Neighbors just love it. Looks christmasy, but not outlandish.

Sorry, My camera just con't do any justice to it. :( And these were the better. Maybe I should ask Santa for a good digital this year. :mellow:

I definitely like the old school approach. Those C7 bulbs were the best and less is better. We used to have bulbs that were almost like lava lamps. Man bulb making is definitely a lost art. I wish I still had those old bulbs from my grandparents.

Well I waited till the new guy on the block with the new corvette and lexus put up his, then I caved and put up two icicle strands, some garland and red ribbon (on the white pilars so they look like giant candy sticks) . Since he has two strands (multi color C-7 ) out I think that is fair. Over the next few weeks, well, I may add a few more strands (like wrap the Pecan tree out front with twenty strands of white flashers, that takes time and effort though I have to climb or get out the big ladder - I have trash bags full of mini lights and a couple C-5 and C-7 strands myself).

For now, we plan a post thanksgiving turkey day feast this weekend for the grandchildren and all their siblings (divorces and remarriages really extend your family fast) . Since Kroger sent me a coupon for a free turkey (any size) I could not see it going to waste. And of course, since it is for kids, the main feature besides turkey is PIE.

Beautiful pictures! And I know, taking photos in the dark just doesn't do the real scene justice. "in person" they are always much better.

Bozodog's right, she does have a spectacular light display at her local park (its Bronson Park, right?) I've seen it on the newscasts.

Liz

Wow! Scri and Bubba... How beautiful. (*sends a few amps your way to help with the bill)

Yes Liz, it's Bronson park. And they do a great job of making it delightful in the daytime too. I will get some good pics this year. I'm waiting for some good snow. It makes everything sparkle. Our little town has a display up in the softball field. (center of town) All the businesses decorated a tree and they are all in one place there.

One trick for night light pics... Use a tripod, and don't use the flash. Most digital cameras will adjust for the dark, but you can't move the camera..

OOOooo Ahhhhh. Nice Scrie! :thumbsup:

What'd you use to line your walk way?

Thank you...Bubba Bob.. :lol::wacko:

the walk way is lined with plastic candy canes evenly spaced with multi colored single strand mini-lights strung between them... :blink::whistling: