Is There A Way To See All The Things That Take Up Hard Drive Space In C:?

cause my dad says 160 gb is a lot of hard drive space and i have 100gb used, so it feels like there something thats very unecesary and is taking up lots of space , is there a way too see almost all the things or boiggest that take up ny C: hard drive space?

Edited by REMIX_23
cause my dad says 160 gb is a lot of hard drive space and i have 100gb used, so it feels like there something thats very unecesary and is taking up lots of space , is there a way too see almost all the things or boiggest that take up ny C: hard drive space?

Do you have a lot of music and/or videos downloaded on your PC? That will take up space galore...

Have you ever opened up IE and went to Tools/Internet Options and in the General tab deleted your Cookies and Temp Internet Files on and off line then clear history. Then go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disc Cleanup then when it opens, put a check in ALL the boxes and click OK then YES in the next window. This will take some time to do if you have never done it before. Let it finish then run Disc Defragmenter from the same place you found Disc Cleanup and see how much you have left. You can click on your C drive and open up all the folders there and see what is there. There are hidden files that should stay hidden as this can get you into more trouble then you can get out of.

XP's Search (in Explorer) can search for files by size to a limited degree.

In the left panel there's a "What size is it" option.

First, set "All or part of the file name:" to "*.*".

Then click the down arrows for size.

There are presets for Small, Medium, and Large but you'll probably want Specify size.

For example, Click the "Specify size (in KB)", sel the dropdown to "at least" (the default), and enter 100000 in the number box.

Click Search and Xp will find all files larger than 100 MB.

Unforfurnately there's no "between" option available.

I'd find that useful.

Edited by CurlingSteve

Steve beat me to the responc\se...exctly what I was going to say.

After you do the search you can sort by size, type, or name by clicking the column headers. Did this to copy dll's when I had an infected machine that errored all the time. Threw in some clean dll's scanned cleaned all was ok. Client did not have an <valid> install disk nor did the want to purchase one.

M

I prefer a program like Sequoia View which displays all the files on the drive (and any free space) visually. Here's the home page.

The program scans your files then displays each file, grouped by folder, as a color-keyed block (similar in concept to but much more advanced than the visual display you get with Windows Defrag). Each file type is assigned a color so you can see, for example, how much drive space is taken up by MP3 files. Or the Windows swap file. Or Windows' CAB files. Etc. (Whoa, it looks like graphics files are taking up a quarter of my drive!)

Mouse-over each block to see what those really large files are (the folder structure is outlined when you mouse-over files) or to see what those thousands of little ones are that wind up taking up so much space.

It's not a file manager per se, you don't use it to delete excess files (you link to Explorer through the program to manage files), but you do get an immediate and clear idea of what files are taking up all that space. It's customizable so you can select a particular color to highlight the files that are important to you, you can choose to display hidden files or not, or display free space or not.

Hope you saw in your second thread that the Default User folder contains the information necessary to set up User accounts, so yeah, some of the information is exactly the same as what winds up in a User account. It should remain there however in case you need to set up a new User account (or, you could go ahead and delete it now and just post here when you try to set up a new User account and it fails). ;)