Lcd Color Bleeding? (l90d+)

So I bought my Hyundai L90D+ from tigerdirect, then moved to the city for college. Monitor works great for a month, but now there seems to be a half circle of what looks like a yellow stain in the top right corner. The monitor image shows up through the defect, but everything is given a yellowish tint. Is this color bleeding? If I look right where the lcd screen is connected to the plastic shell, I think I can see a small hairline fracture, which might have happened during the move. The half circle is about 3 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall right now. Am I screwed? Is this color going to spread until all I can see is yellow?

:unsure:

I will, but I don't think the warranty covers crack damage.

I think I can live with the colour distortion as long as it doesn't spread. It's only visible when there's a white/grey colour in the top right corner of the screen, and I can run apps with a small empty space up top, and a dark desktop image. My biggest concern is spreading of the colour.

Thanks for the reply.

i have experienced this (but with my home tv's) and it was a magnetic field that caused it. i bought a "consumer's type" of a device called a degausser(sp?), and then i would circle it around the screen area, and slowly pull away. this would "de-magnetize" the tv. i do believe that most (if not all monitors) have a "degaussing" feature in the set up of the monitors menu. check thru that menu of yours and see if its there, if so, then do it, report back.

Um... LCD monitors don't need degaussing, and to my knowledge aren't affected by magnetic fields.

--------

Does that color bleeding show up during the boot cycle?

In other words, do you see it on the BIOS spash screen, OS load screen, etc?

Edited by CurlingSteve
Um... LCD monitors don't need degaussing, and to my knowledge aren't affected by magnetic fields.

--------

Does that color bleeding show up during the boot cycle?

In other words, do you see it on the BIOS spash screen, OS load screen, etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No degaussing LCD's. It sounds like the OP's LCD has a few damaged liquid crystals where the crack is. I don't believe that this will spread.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

--------

damn..........i screwed up on this one...........sorry. i just remembered what my tv did when he mentioned the problem, and what i had to do to correct it.

damn.........

It sounds like the OP's LCD has a few damaged liquid crystals where the crack is. I don't believe that this will spread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That makes me feel a little better. I switched over to the olive green windows theme and downloaded a matching Firefox theme, so that covers it up pretty well. Hopefully I can make this monitor last a few more months or so until I can get a new one.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Pro1Driver,

I once though my newish Sony TV had gonr bad, with a huge pink bleed in one corner.

After fooling around with menus and color settings for an hour, I discovered someone had places a strong magnet on top of the set.

Moved that and, TADA, screen fixed (after I reset the menu settings to default).

------------

IceX,

The only thing close I've seen while Googling around are reports of some LCD monitors with a defect where the backlight shines around the edge of the screen.

That, to me, is definitely a manufacturing defect and should warrant a replacement.

I have no idea how one would verify that, or fix it.

A guess? Try gently squeezing the bad corner and see if it improves.

And I do mean gently.

I don't think it's a backlight issue. For one thing, the center of the half circle isnt directly in the corner, it starts a little ways towards the center. It's hard to describe, the rightmost edge of the circle starts about where the minimize button is on windows.

Plus, this wasnt there until a a month or so after I got it the monitor. If it was a problem with backlighting, I would think it would have been there from the start.

Well, that pretty much narrows it down to the monitor itself.

Trying another monitor, and having it display properly, would be the final "nail in the coffin".

Another (slim) possibility, if you feel adventurous...

If you can get access to the monitor's motherboard, perhaps a connector has come loose inside.

The likely suspect would be the cable leading to the display panel itself.

I've had laptop LCDs flare to white when the cable from the main motherboard to the display wore out or was damaged.

By carefully adjusting the lid angle I was able to use it until it failed completely.