sorry another post, but i was taking parts from my old computer and putting it into my new one. (thats why i asked about the memory). this time its the hard drive. i have the hard drive from my old computer and i put it into mu new one. i connected the ribbon cable and the power thing. then when i booted up it went through the whole SONY whatever thing and then the screen went blank and it had the blinking cursor. so i thought that my computer was trying to boot from my old hard drive. so i restarted again, this time i pushed the F8 key and my hard drive that was already in my computer wasnt showing up. all there was was the hard drive from my old computer my main cd rom drive and the floppy disc drive. so i took the old hard drive out and everythings back to normal. my question is how do i make the computer boot from my current hard drive and not the old hard drive from my old computer?? the old hard drive still has windows 98 installed on it i think

The jumpers were probably set wrong.

The hard drive that came with your new computer should be set as "master" and you need to set the jumper on the one from your old computer to "slave".

Look by the jumpers--there should be a marking to tell you where to put the jumper.

The other thing is to make sure that the ribbon cable plug on the END of the cable is plugged into the HD that came with the computer and the old HD is plugged into the middle of the cable.

That SHOULD get it running and the old HD should then show up as drive D:

Edited by jimras
The jumpers were probably set wrong.

The hard drive that came with your new computer should be set as "master" and you need to set the jumper on the one from your old computer to "slave".

Look by the jumpers--there should be a marking to tell you where to put the jumper.

The other thing is to make sure that the ribbon cable plug on the END of the cable is plugged into the HD that came with the computer  and the old HD is plugged into the middle of the cable.

That SHOULD get it running and the old HD should then show up as drive D:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah.....as he says.

;)

its not that. i looked at the hard drive itself and it said that it was only a master drive and not a slave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

??????

What do you mean here, the old drive you're putting into the machine needs to be jumpered as Slave and on the middle connection of the IDE cable for this to work.

All drives can be either a Master or a Slave, so if you meant to say that its currently configured as Master, it needs to be jumpered so its a slave.