Help No Sound

Hello i'm back, im still kinda new to ubuntu,i had it installed on my old pc the 400mhz gateway all worked fine untill old age caught it. so i installed to my newer pc. amd 2800+,512 mb ram, nvidia fx5200, sound blaster live 24 bit. all works well,except for sound. how can i fix it. the device manager shows it as a sound balster audigy ls. please help. i know very very little command line so where do i start. tia :huh:

i no longer have hoary installed, i down loaded breezy.

You may just need to unmute the card, run alsamixer in a terminal. It should show your card and its chipset,use the arrow keys to switch items and m to toggle the mute on and off.

You may need to activate more than one channel, Probably both of Master and PCM. The details vary with the sound card.

GNOME (used by Ubuntu) should have a nice graphical mixer that is otherwise just like Alsamixer. Applications -> Sound and Video -> Volume Control.

You can also put volume controls on your panel, right click on the panel and select "add to panel". Once you have it you can right click, select preferences and then set which channel you want it to control.

You may need to activate more than one channel, Probably both of Master and PCM.  The details vary with the sound card.

GNOME (used by Ubuntu) should have a nice graphical mixer that is otherwise just like Alsamixer.  Applications -> Sound and Video -> Volume Control.

You can also put volume controls on your panel, right click on the panel and select "add to panel".  Once you have it you can right click, select preferences and then set which channel you want it to control.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks folks got it working just fine cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i tried the alsamixer earler and did not know how to use it. again thanks a lot.