Can I Do A Repair / Install On Xp Home,

Its late and I'm a bit tired and I just don't know if it would work. I am going to do the usuall stuff first but in the event that the virus he had messed up to many files, would it work. He doesn't have the Home disk because he just got this pc from a friend who is leaving the country on missionary work. I can't reload it because I only have Pro and the activation numbers are already in use. And it's an E Machine so I don't think Microsoft will do anything to help. If I'm wrong let me know. It sure won't be the first time or the last. :wacko:

if it is a emachine then email emachines and get a new restore disk for a nominal price I have had to do this twice. They then to responed to emails pretty quick. If not you may be able to borrow a copy of Ghost to access the hidden restore Partition. Buying ghost willl coat much more.

http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html

Preston

if it is a emachine then email emachines and get a new restore disk for a nominal price I have had to do this twice. They then to responed to emails pretty quick. If not you may be able to borrow a copy of Ghost to access the hidden restore Partition. Buying ghost willl coat much more.

http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do all or most e machines have this hidden partition? All I saw was the C drive and didn't think any volume was missing for another drive. I already have ghost, so that works out. I appreciate the info and help. My father has an HP and the restore partition was visible, so it never occured to me that one would be hidden. This pc used AOL at one time so it probably has several files altered or missing.

no, you can not do a repair install on a pc with XP Home with a XP Pro disk.

the reason is that the product keys will not match and the Pro disk will probably already be installed on another pc and then that is where tha tproblems will start.

Borrow a WinXP Home disk then format and install. Use RockXP, Magic Jelly Bean or another program to get the XP key. Backup the important data first. Get the eMachine drivers off of their site if the PC isn't too old. I did this with the kids. Their eMachine ran so much nicer without all of the add-on crap.