I Have A Bunch Of These Files

In my C:\Windows directory, I have a BUNCH of files that look like this one:

$NtUninatallKB817778$

I assume that these are some kind of uninatall information. I'm wondering if I can safely delete these?

What do y'all think?

Thanks.....Jim

Whoa, browsing hidden files looking for trash to throw out is not a good idea. They're hidden JUST FOR THAT REASON -- So you don't mess with them. The odds that you'll find hidden files that are unnecessary is slim. If some sort of malware hides files the usual tools will still find them so there's no point in looking there manually. (Plus ... to be a bit blunt ... if you have to ASK about hidden files then you have no business looking at them.)

I will agree with everyone else here. Re-hide your files and forget they even exist.

They are needed files. And you can kill a pc pretty darn fast with removing them.

There are tons of other places you can go through if you want to clean things up manually. But I just let "Disk Cleanup" take care of them.

If you want new things to clean-out. Try this one for size.

Taken from the archives Of TTV, at G4:

Clear index.dat files manually in Windows XP.

Even if you regularly clear your Internet History, Temp files, and cookies to keep ordinary snoops at bay, you're overlooking a very important detail: index.dat files. These hidden files contain information about your IE surfing history and your Outlook activity. On tonight's 'Savers, I'll tell you a simple way to uncover and clear 'em out manually.

Microsoft claims index.dat files cache webpages you visit to help speed up the loading time in Internet Explorer. A lot of folks disagree, and there are a few conspiracy theories floating around about what index.dat files are really for. I'm not really worried because I know an easy way to get rid of them.

Come out, come out wherever you are!

Index.dat files aren't only hidden, they're system files. Even if you select to show hidden files in your folder options, they remain unseen. To track down index.dat files, you need to know where to look.

File names and locations depend on which version of Internet Explorer you have. Assuming you run IE 4.0 or above, the file names will be "index.dat."

In WinXP, here's where you'll usually find them.

* C:\Documents and Settings\username\cookies

* C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\History

* C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Clean house

I like to think we all learn more about Windows each time we get our hands dirty, and you'll have an easier time clearing out index.dat files manually than downloading a third-party program to do it for you.

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. (Press F8 on startup and choose Safe Mode With Command Prompt.)

2. Log on as administrator. Enter your password.

3. Once you reach the command prompt, type "CD\" (no quotes) and hit Enter to get to your root directory.

4. Type "del index.dat /s" (no quotes) and hit Enter to erase all files named index.dat on your computer.

5. Type "shutdown -r" (no quotes) to restart your computer normally.

Your index.dat files will return once Windows boots up normally again, but they'll be empty! Have fun hiding your dirty little secrets. ;-)

Enjoy

JSKY

These folders contain the older versions of the files that were replaced while installing the various updates. They're backed up in these folders in case you decide to uninstall any of the updates for some reason.

You CAN safely delete $NTServicePackUninstall$, $NTUninstallKBXXXXXX$ and any other similar folders to free up disk space (I deleted all of these folders on my laptop several months ago with no ill effect). However, keep in mind that after you do so, you will not be able to uninstall any of those updates.

Edited by Torin_Darkflight
I keep hidden files visible.  I want to see what's there.

I'm just trying to clean up un-needed files.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it may or may not be a good idea, but it is YOUR COMPUTER, YOUR PEROGITIVE. Sometimes I like to do 'dumb' stuff, and I do not want to be told by anyone NO. It is my pet peave whaen people tell me not to do something to my computer(a polite warning is ok). Breaking the computer is great way to learn :-)

@jimras

I am not being sarcastic, I was backing you up. I was not even implying you were doing anything dumb. What you do to your computer is your business :-)

Edited by shanenin

Hey Shanenin...........no problem

I didn't take it personally.

I have ALWAYS had my computers set to show hidden files.

It was just that I noticed these folders and wondered what they were all about. I kind of figured that they from Windows update. It has been a couple of months since I installed any updates so I THINK I could safely delete them. I may just dump them to a CD to be safe, first.

Thanks for the input!!

jim