Bookmarks Gone! All Of Them!

Ok,

I get up this mornin, try and get on the net and couldnt. So, I reset my router, let it connect and open up Firefox. As usual I click "bookmarks". THEY WERE ALL GONE!

But, I dont panic, I go to the application data and find my bookmarks. I find them, drag them from the folder, to the desktop, then from the desktop to another profile. THis is where the BS takes place. Instead of adding my bookmarks, it ONLY adds "Firefox Crew's Picks"! I quickly deleted that folder.

So, I go back to the other profile and the bookmark file is GONE! I look on my desktop, GONE!

!!! Now im steaming. 300+ bookmarks, GONE.

Please, tell me I can do something to get them back.

Hey Bubba Bob,

Try this: Firefox keeps a backup file of bookmarks in the profile folder. I am assuming that in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.ur6 the file bookmarks.html is corrupt or missing. Find the file bookmarks.bak and copy it. Rename it to bookmarks.html, and put it in that folder.

I hope this helps,

Matt

There's always file recovery. Any 'undelete' program should be able to locate your bookmarks and recover them (if they haven't been completely overwritten yet). Do I have a link? No (other than to the commercial version I use: File Rescue Plus). There's a small free one others may have the link to. Remember if the program you choose is small enough it's best to d/l it to a different drive or partition so you don't run the risk of overwriting the files you're trying to recover with the undelete utility!

The most common cause of this is that for some reason there are two copies of firefox running , one of which you cannot see. It often happens if you have a connection problem and firefox is trying to connect and you close it and relaunch. It did not close, so it opened a new copy and created a new user profile.

In this case the best thing to do is shut down and restart, then launch the firefox profile manager by going to start / run and typing

firefox /p

and hit enter

choose your old profile and login.

Often if you can identify the two profiles and then delete the other you will not have any problems.

It often happens if you have a connection problem and firefox is trying to connect and you close it and relaunch.

That's EXACTLY what happened to. Thanks Pete. I deleted one of the profiles, so hopefully this wont happen again.

Oh, and more good news. I found a back up disc i made several months ago. It has 90% of my bookmarks.

Thanks Team :thumbsup: