The Worst New Car Pramotion Ever!

i just watched The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Chevy bought out all of the commercial time to show a promotion / contest for their new HHR Car. all you saw was chunks of a long commercial starting Andy Dick mixed with a fake contest for an HHR. it was horrible, absolutely horrible. they practically made fun of their own car and not even in a funny manor. i am comparing it to the ford 64 1/2 mustang advertisement campaign (thought to be the best american car advertisement campaign) except the opposite direction. instead of being good, it was bad. it actually made me like the car less. yes i thought it was that bad. what the heck was Chevy thinking. what idiot thought that Andy Dick would be a good spokesman?

did anyone else see this and think it was bad or is it just me?

I saw parts of it MAC and it was just as horrible as you describe...besides it being a tear between the pt cruiser and the colorado...it isn't an attrative car...

Andy Dick is funny...when he isn't the major role or the center of attention...

Im deprived of jay leno and david letterman :(, its not on any of the channels here.

I just did a google on that car, and i was expecting it to be big and ugly. But actually, it has potential. I cant wait to see what the car modding scene does to it. It already looks like a space ship, with the addition of a second fat exaust, even more extravigant wheel arches, and fatter cromes should do it nice. And considering its a big "jeep type" thing, it should have plenty of space for a car stereo.

Andy Dick, the only exposure of him I got was him on MTV-The apprentice. I think hes a bit over the top, and i would have to agree he would seem better in a situation where hes not in control.

I havnt seen the ford mustang ad's, but car ad's here are usualy more about how cheap they are, how much "cashback" you get on them. The only unique ad's are the ones made by renault, which i got to say are entertaining to watch. Citroen also makes some funny ad's.

Pierce

yeah the car is pretty good looking. i agree it has potential but those commercials were a waste of several million dollars. Andy Dick was even worse than usual, even more silly and made fun of the HHR. the only funny part was that he made fun of car customizing by putting a bunch of useless crap in it. like he planted a tree in the back. with manure! a camera on the hood hooked to a 30 inch display right in front of the driver seat. a waffle maker on the dash, ect ect ect. that was creative but not done in a funny matter and how exactly did that help sell the car.

From your description it sounds really funny, apart from the tree and manure part. Hmm millions of dollars. Yeah, prime time tv, could of been used for better things, like a decent celbrity, or having a proper "PIMP MY RIDE" sort of thing, showing the potential for customization of the car. And then recording a decent ad, with like the progression of the cars life being modified.

A bit like PIMP MY RIDE, execpt done in 30 second ad's, and have like 5 ~ 10 ad's and then play them cronologicaly over 10 or so days.

Pierce

A bit like PIMP MY RIDE, execpt done in 30 second ad's, and have like 5 ~ 10 ad's and then play them cronologicaly over 10 or so days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah that would've been funny but unfortunately that's not what they did. instead they have about about 5 set of 5 minute long segments of Andy Dick trying to be apart of a fake contest winner search in Andy Dick style by over the top acting. the Pimp my ride was one about 5 minutes long and was the only funny part for me. i've tried looking online for video clips of it so that everyone can see it but no one seems to want to spend the time to do it.