i have WPA enabled on my belkin router, however i notice that sometimes i have to reload sites or else the computer just sits idle. I disabled WPA temporarily and found that my internet connection is fast again. Im assuming since WPA has a key sent with every packet that this is the reason it is slow. Is there anyway around this WITHOUT going back to WEP or setting up a radius server?

i have WPA enabled on my belkin router, however i notice that sometimes i have to reload sites or else the computer just sits idle. I disabled WPA temporarily and found that my internet connection is fast again. Im assuming since WPA has a key sent with every packet that this is the reason it is slow. Is there anyway around this WITHOUT going back to WEP or setting up a radius server?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WPA doesn't re-exchange keys with every packet. TKIP encrypts each frame with a new unique key. Setting up for enterprise WPA won't speed things up either as it only affects the PMK exchange.

What do you mean by "the computer just sits idle"? What exactly are the symptoms you are running into?

Speed hits due to encryption are going to depend a lot on your hardware. What adapters and AP are you using? For the adapter are you using the manf's client manager software or WinXP SP2's WZC?

when i say the computer sits idle i mean that no packets are being sent or recieved i ment to say when my network traffic from my computer to the router sorry*** for example i open up firefox or IE 7 and attempt to load ebay.com but when i do that sometimes the computer does absolutly nothing NO packets are sent or recieved but if i click reload then the site loads fine. The hardware: Belkin Pre-N router with 4 port switch, and the computer im using has a linksys wpc 54 G v2...

when i say the computer sits idle i mean that no packets are being sent or recieved i ment to say when my network traffic from my computer to the router sorry*** for example i open up firefox or IE 7 and attempt to load ebay.com but when i do that sometimes the computer does absolutly nothing NO packets are sent or recieved but if i click reload then the site loads fine. The hardware: Belkin Pre-N router with 4 port switch, and the computer im using has a linksys wpc 54 G v2...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Clear out your cache, temp files and cookies and see if that helps.

Ive done that, and on top of it ran adware SE and avg with all updates current... the wierd thing is its just that computer and i JUST(5 or 6 days ago) bought the router all firmware is updated and the drivers for the network interface card are all current. Im starting to think its the network card, because it always makes my computer start up unusually slow and doesnt show the task bar icons untill everything is loaded then they all appear at once, but when i have uninstalled the card the computer runs great. Its a sony vaio laptop 2.8ghz p4 with 512 ram.