Problems Starting Computer

Having some problems with my parents computer.

The computer froze up on them and they had no choice but to restart it.

So they go to restart the computer and they get the black screen

which has the start normal/safe mode and last good known config.

They have tried starting in both normal and safe mode as well as the last good

known config and nothing happens.

Regardless of what option they choose, they go right back into the safe mode screen. (is that what it's called?)

any help or ideas out there?

the are running XP.

thanks everyone!

go to this link,

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

select B, then scroll down past bios, to black screen.

there is 4 links on that page for that problem.

also if you have the XP cd that came with the PC, thsi link will show how to use the recovery console to repair te problem.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

now if the PC did not come with an XP cd, ten there is a partition on teh hard drive that is a fat32 partition which is the recovery partition.

it may allow a repair install or a complete reformat and install.

if you have the xp cd then try the repair options, of fixmbr, or fixboot.

but check the first links first.

should be simple to fix.

should be simple to fix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simple to fix for someone who know a lot about computers.

But not to a dummy like me. :P

I'll check those links in greater detail when I get home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To begin insert your Windows XP Home CD and reboot you computer. A message "Press any key to boot from CD....." will appear, press the space bar to continue.

Setup will now inspect your computer hardware and configuration.

Setup now prepares your computer for install.

From this menu press "ENTER" to begin the repair install.

Windows XP License agreement, read, and if you agree press "F8" to continue, press "ESC" if you disagree. If you disagree setup will finish.

PART 2

Now select the operating system you wish to repair, if as in most occasions there is only one, the just press "R" to continue.

Setup will now make some checks on the system.

and then prepare files that are needed to be copied.

Setup will now initialize your XP configuration.

PART 3

Setup now needs to reboot your computer. Press "ENTER" to save yourself a 15 second wait.

Boot will recognize that the XP CD is in the drive, DO NOT press any keys, let setup bypass the CD boot.

Windows will now begin to load. On some occasions Windows will be finished the repair, if so it will go straight to Part 7. Which is the part where you arrive at the desktop, otherwise the install will continue.

PART 4

The repair process continues.

Windows will continue installing.

Windows setup will now finalize.

It is now time to restart Windows XP again, press "ENTER" to speed up process, otherwise Windows will do it itself in 15 seconds.

Boot will recognize that the XP CD is in the drive, DO NOT press any keys, let setup bypass the CD boot.

Windows will continue loading.

PART 5

Windows will now adjust your resolution, click "OK" to continue.

If you are happy with the changes, click "OK" otherwise press "Cancel" to return to the old settings

Windows will now apply changes. Be patient.

Windows "WELCOME" screen.

and finally the Windows XP Desktop. Windows is now installed.

As you have repaired Windows, there should be no drivers to install. Your files should be safe, but you should always check out device manager for unknown devices, likely items are Network Cards, Sound Cards, Printers, Scanners, Graphics Cards, Digital Cameras, plus any other item you have.

should be simple to fix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Simple to fix for someone who know a lot about computers.

But not to a dummy like me. :P

I'll check those links in greater detail when I get home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To begin insert your Windows XP Home CD and reboot you computer. A message "Press any key to boot from CD....." will appear, press the space bar to continue.

Setup will now inspect your computer hardware and configuration.

Setup now prepares your computer for install.

From this menu press "ENTER" to begin the repair install.

Windows XP License agreement, read, and if you agree press "F8" to continue, press "ESC" if you disagree. If you disagree setup will finish.

PART 2

Now select the operating system you wish to repair, if as in most occasions there is only one, the just press "R" to continue.

Setup will now make some checks on the system.

and then prepare files that are needed to be copied.

Setup will now initialize your XP configuration.

PART 3

Setup now needs to reboot your computer. Press "ENTER" to save yourself a 15 second wait.

Windows will now begin to load. On some occasions Windows will be finished the repair, if so it will go straight to Part 7. Which is the part where you arrive at the desktop, otherwise the install will continue.

PART 4

The repair process continues.

Windows will continue installing.

Windows setup will now finalize.

It is now time to restart Windows XP again, press "ENTER" to speed up process, otherwise Windows will do it itself in 15 seconds.

Windows will continue loading.

PART 5

Windows will now adjust your resolution, click "OK" to continue.

If you are happy with the changes, click "OK" otherwise press "Cancel" to return to the old settings

Windows will now apply changes. Be patient.

Windows "WELCOME" screen.

and finally the Windows XP Desktop. Windows is now installed.

As you have repaired Windows, there should be no drivers to install. Your files should be safe, but you should always check out device manager for unknown devices, likely items are Network Cards, Sound Cards, Printers, Scanners, Graphics Cards, Digital Cameras, plus any other item you have.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why are you going straight to repair install?

I would first try to fix the MBR from the repair console (fixmbr), orfix the ntldr (boot off a cd/floppy as per the first link before I would resinstall.

He will lose all of his email and contact folders and the data, while still there will have to be moved into the new user account and many programs, drivers etc will need to be reinstalled. (and that doesn't cover the updates)

I haven't really been following this thread, but I did notice a repair instll was mentioned. The knowlege base has a tutorial on how to do this (written by myself :D ). Located here. Just for future reference. I don't know if this will fix the problem, as I said I haven't really followed this thread, just wanted to throw it in here.

Matt