Just bought a new case from newegg, and after installing everything in it (specs in sig) I had it running for a few hours downloading a bit torrent and when I got home a friend was already over changing stuff on his xanga and after a second the computer froze, something my computer rarely if ever does. I restarted it and the next time it froze after about 10 minutes. I then restarted the computer and this time it froze up right after all the startup items finished. I restarted it again and this time it froze up while the Windows XP was loading with the little blue loading bar. I restarted it again and it froze at the same spot. Now everytime I reboot it freezes in the same spot. I just now did advanced options (when it says boot Windows XP or Recover Console you press F8) and booted up in debug mode and it seems to be working now. I unplugged all the hardware I could think of earlier and that didn't seem to change anything so I plugged it all back in. Running virus scan now (already found 9 objects) and will update if it seems to be working. But does anybody have any clue why that might happen?

Just bought a new case from newegg, and after installing everything in it (specs in sig) I had it running for a few hours downloading a bit torrent and when I got home a friend was already over changing stuff on his xanga and after a second the computer froze, something my computer rarely if ever does. I restarted it and the next time it froze after about 10 minutes. I then restarted the computer and this time it froze up right after all the startup items finished. I restarted it again and this time it froze up while the Windows XP was loading with the little blue loading bar. I restarted it again and it froze at the same spot. Now everytime I reboot it freezes in the same spot. I just now did advanced options (when it says boot Windows XP or Recover Console you press F8) and booted up in debug mode and it seems to be working now. I unplugged all the hardware I could think of earlier and that didn't seem to change anything so I plugged it all back in. Running virus scan now (already found 9 objects) and will update if it seems to be working. But does anybody have any clue why that might happen?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure you are not grounding out the MOBO in the new case?

I assume no dust buildup with a new case. Are all your fans connected right are they all on. Are we sure it is over heating? RAM seated correctly, PS connected proper? Area around Tower clear of obstuctions that prevent air flow? What About cable management, do they obstruct air flow?

Preston

A breakthrough!!! or is it?

I found out that by sitting the case upright as it should be makes it freeze, while setting it on it's side unfreezes it.... I have 2 screws on one side of the hard drive so I'm wondering if maybe that's the problem that when it's upright the hard drive tilts down and shorts or something. When set upright it will boot up till Windows XP with the blue loading bar then freeze. I know the motherboard is on right not touching in of the metal below, fans are fine, shouldn't be overheated or anything. All the cables are as they should be.

I found out that by sitting the case upright as it should be makes it freeze, while setting it on it's side unfreezes it....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Short for sure ... If you're comfortable working inside the case while it's powered up you could start it up while on its side and -carefully- see if anything wobbles, wiggle this and that. If you aren't familiar with working on 'hot' electronics and would still like to try you could use a non-conductive probe to move things (specifically a 'plastic' screw driver, but that's a fairly specialized tool and you probably don't have laying around). And if you aren't completely familiar and comfortable with working inside a hot case do the same with the unit unplugged using your eyes (and ears) to spot anything touching, well, anything else.

I found out that by sitting the case upright as it should be makes it freeze, while setting it on it's side unfreezes it.... I have 2 screws on one side of the hard drive so I'm wondering if maybe that's the problem that when it's upright the hard drive tilts down and shorts or something. When set upright it will boot up till Windows XP with the blue loading bar then freeze. I know the motherboard is on right not touching in of the metal below, fans are fine, shouldn't be overheated or anything. All the cables are as they should be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd go with it being a short too. When things warm up, the motherboard shifts and something shorts.

Did you use two red fiber washers for each mounting screw? One above and one below the motherboard? Did you make sure there were no unused brass standoffs, or if you have domes on your case, that unused ones were plugged with nylon T standoffs to prevent shorts?

Did you use the correct mounting screws (domes use different ones than standoffs) so the motherboard is secure? (Do not overtighten).

It could also be the processor. Are you sure it was properly locked down and same with the heatsink?

Hard drives you really want to have secure. Normally four screws minimum, two on each side. Yes, if the hard drive controller touches something it can short and damage the drive. If you shorted the drive, it may be permanently damaged, same with the motherboard.

I suggest that you disassemble things and put them together and make sure you do it correctly . No loose stuff, buy extra washers and screws if you need them.