Mda And Katrina Relief

Just wanted to post this before leaving for the telethon.

Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon to Appeal for Hurricane Relief

Association to Make Separate $1 Million Donation

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 31, 2005 — Legendary comedian Jerry Lewis announced today that his annual Labor Day Telethon benefiting the Muscular Dystrophy Association will also feature celebrity fund-raising appeals for the relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. He also announced that MDA will donate $1 million of its funds to help victims in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

Lewis said stars of music, movies, comedy and other fields would be recruited to make appeals for hurricane relief during the first four and last four hours of the 21 ½-hour broadcast. The show begins at 9 p.m. EDT on Sunday and ends at 5:30 p.m. EDT on Monday. A special 800 number will be used for the hurricane donations, with all proceeds going to the Salvation Army’s efforts in the stricken states.

“While the needs of ‘my kids’ are with us all year round, Hurricane Katrina is a national disaster on a scale that’s difficult to comprehend,†Lewis said. “We simply couldn’t ignore the need to help. We already have the infrastructure in place.

“If I’ve learned anything in the more than 50 years that I’ve led MDA, it’s that the generosity of the American people knows no bounds,†he said. “I’m sure that with their fellow citizens in such dire need, they’ll dig deep and do everything they can to help. I’m hopeful that many people will be willing to make two phone calls and donate to both causes.â€

This is the 40th year for the MDA Telethon, which is being broadcast live from The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, Calif., on nearly 200 “Love Network†stations. Last year’s Telethon raised $59.4 million to support the Association’s programs of research and services benefiting more than 1 million Americans affected by neuromuscular diseases.

Without pissing off anyone on purpose I have a thought.

"The most powerful country in the world can't even look after its own people.

How sad."

Very sad.

We could do more for our own if we didn't send billions and billions out to others. And not everyone who receives this "help" likes the USA for one reason or another.

Now should we turn our backs to the rest of the human race, NO. If your neighbor needed desperate help would you help? I would hope you did, and I think you would.

After all you are here giving free advice to others.

You = you who read this, not one particular person.

I= me, my own opinion

We= anyone who sends help to others outside the US.

M

The most powerful country in the world can't even look after its own people.

How sad.

Pierce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i love how the whole point went right over your young head. ohhh i don't care what anyone says. we are not the greatest country in the world, we just have too more idiots that think we are than anyone else.

yes i saw jerry lewis being interview on cnn by larry king.

back to the state ment

would you like some one who over the years invades some one else

for the sake of oil

remember there os only one country in the worls that

has used the atom bobmb

in my country

there are only 4 million of us but we have contriubuted

$10 dollars a head

every man woman women and child .

we always hear about how the usa hjas gives al this money

but never any one elses mentioned

is mentioned.

get your facts straight first

even the countrys that suffered the tsunami

who can illafford it have given some thing how little but it is something.

the bush administration didnt move soon enough

statements like yours are no help for people that are in need

and remember most of them were black or poor.

some one dosent care for black or poor people in the usa.

marty

yes i saw jerry lewis being interview on cnn by larry king.

back to the state ment

would you like some one who over the years invades some one else

for the sake of oil

remember there os only one country in the worls that

has used the atom bobmb

in my country

there are only 4 million of us but we have contriubuted

$10 dollars a head

every man woman women and child .

we always hear about how the usa hjas gives al this money

but never any one elses mentioned

is mentioned.

get your facts straight first

even the countrys that suffered the tsunami

who can illafford it have given some thing how little but it is something.

the bush administration didnt move soon enough

statements like yours are no help for people that are in need

and remember most of them were black or poor.

some one dosent care for black or poor people in the usa.

marty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh yeah i hate how our country (US) is run and countries that are also suffering right now and still help out with a little something warm my heat and shouldn't be thought of any less. i love how the greatest thing about tragedies like this is that even though so many countries don't get along that we still come together. even though the US has stepped on many toes we still get offered such help.

This thread was started to show one charity helping another.

That is what we do here with each other.

Ask and answer.

Please do not start political wars in this thread. I will not hesitate to request this thread be locked or deleted.

Mike

$54.9 Million

In Lafayette, LA I think we did $812,222.

Loved every minute of the telethon.

I would reccomend if anyone had a chance to volunteer at the telethon phone bank DO IT.

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that is a very good sum of money, I am glad to have helped, and will continue to do so in the future. And it really makes me happy to see so much go to helping out the ones who need it most. In every event Jerry takes on.

i was just thinking about the money that they raised and i don't think that it really matters how much money they get. don't get me wrong because that 54 million dollars is going to help alot of people and i'm not taking anything away from people that donated. but it's really about our country coming together. i remembered another interview from many years ago with Jerry Lewis. it was just a clip i saw on the net from when he first joined the MDA and he said that he didn't care if they didn't care as much about only getting large donations. even the little donations meant alot too because it shows that someone cares, and just showing that someone cares helps by putting a smile on their faces. most of these kids that have MD feel like crud and have a hard time even wanting to live life cause they felt alone. and then he talked about one time when he visited a group of kids in the hospital and just spending some time with them and making them laugh adds to their life.

i was just watching the news and saw more about celebrities using their own vehicles, boats, and planes to help people. my favorite one is Shawn Pen got a boat and physically went out there and boated people to a safe site. no camera crew of his for publicity, just simply out there helping.

our country has always been so divided most of the time. (which is just natural for being such a hugely diverse population) but for things like this telethon and for times like now, we come together, more than ever before.

How sad.

Pierce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i love how the whole point went right over your young head. ohhh i don't care what anyone says. we are not the greatest country in the world, we just have too more idiots that think we are than anyone else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point was made, it anoied you, and a few others i bet. The "sad" part, is new orleans. It is unfortunate that it did happen, and it is nice to see each fellow american looking after each other. The scary(sad) part, is your ocupation in iraq. Charity begins at home. Im not going to say any more than this.

Pierce

It is an amazing amount of money raised. We meet evacuee's at the hotel, their life was in the trunk of their car, going somewhere else to start over. In our area we were able raise a lot of money while we are donating to evacuee's. Such love.

My kids came home yesterday to say new kids are coming in to the classes, "Is it ok to be friends with <name>?"

My wife and I both "Do your best to be a friend to them, their friends are all over now."

They were worried about befriending a kid after hearing all that the media has said.

M

How sad.

Pierce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point was made, it anoied you, and a few others i bet. The "sad" part, is new orleans. It is unfortunate that it did happen, and it is nice to see each fellow american looking after each other. The scary(sad) part, is your ocupation in iraq. Charity begins at home. Im not going to say any more than this.

Pierce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh yeah i'm pissed at my government as alot are but like Mikex said this is not the thread to discuss politics. why don't you start another thread, i'm always happy to rant about my government when it screws up and praise and thank it when it does good. but that is for another thread. ;)

How sad.

Pierce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pierce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh yeah i'm pissed at my government as alot are but like Mikex said this is not the thread to discuss politics. why don't you start another thread, i'm always happy to rant about my government when it screws up and praise and thank it when it does good. but that is for another thread. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said Mac.

Barb :thumbsup:

over and above what we already pledged.

i see we are running a telethon.

to raise additional

pledges .

the respnse in my country is,

phenominal,

and im so proud to be part of it.

i contributed early.

but what little i have goes to help those blacks and the poor .

i watched CNN where a discussion .

was taken by the interviewer.several people involved

and all said the gov moved to late

now when they were critisized

they are trying to make up lost ground.

bush nursed a little black baby

that was covered in mud .

i bet he will wash himself

for a week

condeliza

was processing food parcels

but isnt that to late.

many many people died before that

to little to late

so your contribution is by far better.

than your gov cared about

you keep up the good work .

you are a humanitarian .

and we need many people like that aroud the world

i belong to the local red cross

and we never know when we are needed

marty

OK folks I asked a MOD to kill this thread.

I did not start this to be a poor me thread.

It was "Look how one charity is helping another."

You are more than welcome to start a political rant thread. But not in this one.

As soon as the MOD gets the PM they are more than welcome to either lock this thread or Delete it, their choice.

I am sorry if I sound selfish or <insert adjative here>.

Mike

maybe i was one of the ones who missed the point of this thread. i read back through the thread and yes it went off topic. i too went off topic and i am sorry for my part. :(

The Fact that The MDA Telethon did this is incredible. Mikex is right that some of us, me included didn't give the proper respect to MDA for now greatly helping two causes.

i will go ahead and lock the thread for now.