Virus Removal W/o Anti Virus?

No the problem is not with my computer but with a friends. He's been having problems for awhile, he thinks it's a virus because it disables Norton Anti Virus and slows his computer down. He's wondering if formatting his hard drive would get rid of it? He doesn't think it will work because he believes it has gotten into his system folders, which I thought didn't really matter if you formatted the HD but I'm not sure. Also after the computer is on for awhile it starts popping up with the message "Windows does not have enough resourses to perform this task." (or something similar) I'm still working on getting the specs of his computer so remember it's NOT my computer that has the problem.

Formatting would erase everything on the drive: No trace of any software, virus or otherwise, would be left on the drive (there are some minor exceptions but are unlikely to be important here).

If your friend has the original software, on individual disks, formatting would be an acceptable option. All data not backed up before the problem would be gone though.

There's a post here somewhere that lists dozens of online scans that may be able to locate and fix the problem without resorting to a format, someone may be able to post a link for that.

Online scanners are a great idea. Yes, formatting will delete everything, so there is no worry of it not removing a virus. Although, I think formatting should only be done after other steps are taken. Try some of those online scans, and if possible, have your friend follow the directions here: http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1455

Good luck,

Matt