Having Trouble Opening A Certain Program

When I attempt to open the program i get the following message...."windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." But I am the admin on this computer. Anything i can do?

When I attempt to open the program i get the following message...."windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."  But I am the admin on this computer. Anything i can do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Say the program? Sounds like a malicious when you say it like that.

In addition to the "exact file name," be sure you don't have Windows set to "hide" known file extensions when you look for the file name. The important part of the file name is after the 'dot' or period, i.e., EXE or COM or whatever. If Windows is hiding the known file extensions it could be hiding a malicious program that you THINK is what you originally wanted, i.e., PROGRAM.EXE.VBS

You'll think you're running PROGRAM.EXE but actually run a malicious Visual Basic Script.

(Bad example as the EXE part would also be hidden, but I'm still half-awake so it'll hafta do.)

• 1 year later...

I'm a software developer and at my company we are experiencing a similar situation with our own applications. After installing our software onto vista the user that installed it is able to run the app. That user was a domain admin. But when another user logs on we receive that same error message, even though this second user is also a domain administrator (I can access regedit and any other 'admin level' application). I'm still researching it, but if I right click on the executable files, go to security, and add myself to the list it will run fine. You can try that if you only need a quick fix, but for us that's not an option. We can't go and tell all our customers they'll have to add all their users to the list for every one of our executable files.

It's definitely amusing that Vista is trying to lock things down, but yet doesn't allow someone with administrator rights to run a program, but will allow them to change permissions and security on files in order to allow themselves to run it. Seems like they should either allow you to run it or completely stop you from running it, don't just make it harder to run things.

Yes I agree it's a sidestep. But some corporate environments such as IBM like to keep things hidden from one part to the next. I have a brother-in-law that works for them (IBM), And he could be working on one part of 10 different pieces. And he never knows quite what he is working on or what the final product is until all the parts come together and it's finished. Kind of a security thing so if any info gets into the wrong hands, they don't have the complete item. Only the higher uppers know the whole process.

I think that's what MS had in mind for Vistas security. I know for smaller companies it can be a pain. But in the end it could save them from loosing valuable information.