Re-sizing Rieser Partition

I'm gettig ready for bed but I need some help here.

I'm trying to install ubuntu 5.04 on a XP/ Xandros 3.0 system.

My Xandros Partitionn is 20 gig formated rieser I would like to resize

giving 5gig to Xandro 5gig to ubuntu and 10gig fat32 for storage.

The trouble is I cannot re-size with Partition Magic 8.0 or with QtParted (niether from in Xandros or from knoppix) any ideas about this?

the other problem is I have anther problem

I had a spare fat partition and in my desire to install ubuntu I formated it and install on it. when it gets to the user account setup everything goes fine untill I get to the password setup then My keyboard stops working (at least the letters and nums)

what's up with this? I even tried a different install disk.

Preston

hmmm. I don't think anytools resize rieser 100%, knoppix does not have the reiser qtparted lib so it can't. my distro I think should 95% of the time.. I have not tested it though.

but if you can not resize and you have other partitions you can backup to.. say a fat partition, you can always tar off the partition, blow it away, rebuild new partitons and untar.. your boot sector should still be intact so no work there.

also is your fat partiton full. It sounds like its full and trying to write to it.

I had a spare fat partition and in my desire to install ubuntu I formated it and install on it. when it gets to the user account setup everything goes fine untill I get to the password setup then My keyboard stops working (at least the letters and nums)

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, but maybe ubuntu doesnt echo anything when typing the password. When you press enter does anything happen?

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, but maybe ubuntu doesnt echo anything when typing the password. When you press enter does anything happen?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry I have had to sleep go to work and work on my wifes laptop. when I hit enter it takes me back to it again.

sounds like it is not echo'ing.. and you may not be entering a password orver 6 char, and the same one twice

I need to download ubuntu and test it as, more and more questions are being based on it.

I need to download ubuntu and test it as, more and more questions are being based on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ubuntu is not too bad, I've run it for some time.

It has a few things going for it.

1. Good hardware detection.

2. It'll run on old and new computers; it doesn't use a lot of system resources to run.

3. It has apt-get and synaptic for easy package installation.

4. Ease of use for newcomers.

It has apt-get and synaptic for easy package installation.

oh.. well never mind.. :)

no emerge, no configure make make install...