There are a few things to consider here.

First let me say that with a removable drive, it is always best to use the safely remove hardware option in the system tray if it is present. It is there for a reason.

If not, you should go to my computer and locate the drive and right click and see if it has either safely remove or eject as an option and choose that if there.

The problem here is related to NTFS file system and how it handles small files by saving them in their master file table entry and also defrag and how it keeps track of recently used files . Although you may not have a problem, there is a distinct possibility of either getting a corrupt master file table on the main drive (when it refers to something on the other drive) or similar problems which may render your main drive non bootable; or which may give you a prompt to "please insert disk to continue" since it expects the drive to be where it left it.

PeteC

Some of what you said made sense while some was over my head. Let me give you my problem from the beginning. Out of nowhere, I have been getting a "Found New Hardware" message. It is saying it wants to install a USB device. I have to hit cancel every time I turn my computer on. When I try to hit next, I have to wait for awhile & it never works. I tried downloading new drivers (I did & it still didn't matter). I am frusterated & at a loss. I was thinking of unplugging the second back-up hard drive & then trying to plug it in again upon boot up. I also have flash drives that I have been plugging in & out continuously without clicking on the safely remove icon. I didn't think I would have to.

More advice is needed!

Thanks in advance!

I suspect that by not using the safely remove hardware option, it did not think the device was removed, but instead thinks it is connected and not functioning correctly. When you reconnected it, it thinks it is a second one of the same device (meaning it now thinks you have two installed or even more) connected, one working and one not.

That is why it asks you to install the device. Then when it realizes it is the one it thinks was malfuntioning, it gets confused and does not finish.

Unplug and disconnect the drive while the computer is off.

Boot to windows and log in.

Go to control panel/ system/ hardware/ device manager

There should be an option under view to show hidden devices or non functioning devices or show all devices . Select that one.

Then go and locate the device and select each instance it is listed and choose uninstall . Repeat until it is gone completely . Likewise, uninstall/ remove any devices which show as malfunctioning or disabled.

Reboot the computer.Install the software as you would have when you first bought the drive. When prompted, connect the drive .

(Note some will tell you to shut down, connect the drive and power up and insert cd when drive is detected. Do what you are told in the drives documentation).