Size Of Columns In Start Menu

There are a few choices to solve this.

1. The column widths are dictated by the longest entry. You can rename any folders or shortcuts with long names to something shorter.

2. You can also set up the menu to scroll through the list and get rid of multiple columns altogether. Right click start|properties|customize|advanced tab|under start menu items check scroll programs.

3. You can group shortcuts into folders in whatever arrangement suits you to shorten the list. Right click start and select explore. Open up the programs folder and do your editing there. Then right click start and select explore all users and do the same since the programs list is derived from both locations.

I have 3 columns in my programs folder but when I open it up, I can only see about half of the last one. The columns are far wider then they should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What resolution are you using? Try 1024 X 768 Right click on the desktop and then properties then settings and change it to 1024x768.

Or try right clicking on the task bar,properties,start menu and then customize and then choose small icons.

The thing I do is create folders like Internet,Printer Utilities, Games, Utilities and then move all the programs listed into their correct folders. Right clicking on the Start button allows you to Explore the Programs and then create new folders as well. Explore All users and Explore by itself and Open all users will clean them all out. Drag and drop to their folders you want them in.

Edited by lefty1953

You can also change the font size.

Right click on desktop, choose properties/ appearance/ advanced

I think it is menu and then choose font size. But if that is not it, experiment until you find it. Just remember the font size you had before and what you are changing each time.

I have seen this type of problem many times, and every time the best solution (long term) has been to just delete unused entries from the Start menu. Or at least, to throw them all in an "Unneeded" folder.

Failing that, some renaming can usually get the job done.

Edited by Aluvus

I have to agree with the renaming faction here.

Most people install programs and just accept the default menu name. However, you can change it to whatever you want. You don't need to have "MicroSoft Office 2004" when "Office" or "Office 2004" is sufficient (do you really need to know that MicroSoft made that progam every time you open it?). Plus it's shorter and keeps your menus in order.

Just rightclick the longest menu item, select Rename from the popup menu and type a shorter name.

Edited by JDoors