The wireless PCI card works as a access point to the router. You should be able to connect str8 to the router and then hardwire to the modem. It is very similar to the setup as a "wired" network...install the card and drivers, setup your router (either with encryption WPA/WEP, PGP, and make sure to turn off broadcast for security), then connect the card adapter to the router...

Hollar back if there is anything else...

That is about it IEATHARDDRIVES, it is pretty simple as a home setup. You may have to power reset your modem to clear its ARP cache and its MAC table for the router you are putting on line, but if you have any problems...feel free to post back...

couple of good tips...check to see if there'e any firmware upgrades for your router and adapter...AND turn of your firewall when installing the hardware.

..read the instruction until you understand them and you should be alright.. :blink:;)

The wireless PCI card works as a access point to the router.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CC would have a cow (pun not intended). The PCI 802.11 radio in your PC does not function as an access point in most home networks (if it does you either did something wrong or already know enough not to ask a question like this). In reality these 'wireless home broadband routers' are actually a router/gateway/NAT/DHCP server/802.11 AP all rolled into one package. They just call it a router to help save on the confusion for people who just want to use their interweb wirelessly.

If the "router" is advertised as being a "wireless router," then you can be sure it contains an access point and you will not need to buy an additional AP (assuming the hardware you have is compatible).

So to answer the original question directly: you have a "wireless router," so it already contains an AP and can thus communicate with whatever other 802.11b/g radios you have.

The wireless PCI card works as a access point to the router.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CC would have a cow (pun not intended). The PCI 802.11 radio in your PC does not function as an access point in most home networks (if it does you either did something wrong or already know enough not to ask a question like this). In reality these 'wireless home broadband routers' are actually a router/gateway/NAT/DHCP server/802.11 AP all rolled into one package. They just call it a router to help save on the confusion for people who just want to use their interweb wirelessly.

If the "router" is advertised as being a "wireless router," then you can be sure it contains an access point and you will not need to buy an additional AP (assuming the hardware you have is compatible).

So to answer the original question directly: you have a "wireless router," so it already contains an AP and can thus communicate with whatever other 802.11b/g radios you have.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct, and I stand corrected, just have addition. The PCI card he is adding to his PC can be used as a relay as well (advanced, IP forwarding, etc), therefor being a access point, but in this case you are setting up the router as the access point and the PCI card is a connection device.

The only time i could see the PC being affected by the microwave is when it is on. Different freqencies, wavelenghts (micro waves...radio waves)...kinda similar to the disturbancies i have at home when a P3 airplane flies over head and weakens my wireless signal...

The PCI card he is adding to his PC can be used as a relay as well (advanced, IP forwarding, etc),

You are confusing network layers. IP routing concerns a level or two above 802.11. Any physical/data link implementation that supports IP can be used for IP routing. Most home networking cards like the one the OP mentioned don't even support 802.11 Master mode, so you really couldn't use it as an AP even if you get your OSI model issues worked out.

therefor being a access point,

This is just a matter of semantics, but IP routers are almost always called "routers" and "gateways," not "access points." The latter is usually used as an 802.11 term in these contexts.

The only time i could see the PC being affected by the microwave is when it is on.

It contains big chunks of metal, which certainly have an impact on the signal strength in certain directions. Rather than worry too much about it, wait until you think there's a problem and try moving the AP around.

-uberpenguin

The PCI card he is adding to his PC can be used as a relay as well (advanced, IP forwarding, etc),

You are confusing network layers. IP routing concerns a level or two above 802.11. Any physical/data link implementation that supports IP can be used for IP routing. Most home networking cards like the one the OP mentioned don't even support 802.11 Master mode, so you really couldn't use it as an AP even if you get your OSI model issues worked out.

therefor being a access point,

This is just a matter of semantics, but IP routers are almost always called "routers" and "gateways," not "access points." The latter is usually used as an 802.11 term in these contexts.

The only time i could see the PC being affected by the microwave is when it is on.

It contains big chunks of metal, which certainly have an impact on the signal strength in certain directions. Rather than worry too much about it, wait until you think there's a problem and try moving the AP around.

-uberpenguin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to dig the hole any bigger, but there are a few ways to turn a simple PCI card into a access point for another machines, without changing layers, models, or IEEE 802.11 standards, i use it at home for a proxy route.

I work in a heavily filled airport, with planes, gauges, sheet metal shops, and lots of other "metalic" items running 5 separate wireless access points. The only problems we have is when the plane is turned on and backing out of the hanger before any connections slow down or drop...but i don't see the to much a problem from the microwave...even with it cooking the bake-potatoes on high for 15 minutes...

Not to dig the hole any bigger,

Too late. :D

but there are a few ways to turn a simple PCI card into a access point for another machines, without changing layers, models, or IEEE 802.11 standards, i use it at home for a proxy route.

Again, you're just arguing semantics. If you want to call the first router owned by your ISP an 'access point' because you access the Interweb through it, you are welcome to. Most people associate the term AP with 802.11, though.