I found that a minimum of 15G should be used for XP, once you get a years worth of programs and things installed on it, the space gets used up fast.

I keep everything outside of the OS that I can, in different partitions, and with this last install I resized my XP partition to 20G.

I found that a minimum of 15G should be used for XP, once you get a years worth of programs and things installed on it, the space gets used up fast.

I keep everything outside of the OS that I can, in different partitions, and with this last install I resized my XP partition to 20G.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I used to say a minimum of 10GB for the XP OS partition, but now say 15-20 is optimal. Gives you room for the things which need to be on the OS partition to install there and plenty of spare room for swap file etc.

Then keep anything which can go outside the OS partition on other partitions so that they do not bog it down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I used to say a minimum of 10GB for the XP OS partition, but now say 15-20 is optimal. Gives you room for the things which need to be on the OS partition to install there and plenty of spare room for swap file etc.

Then keep anything which can go outside the OS partition on other partitions so that they do not bog it down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'd also add that a non-destructive partitioner like partition magic would be a solid idea. saves aspirin down the road ;)

They way I like to partition (I have a 160gig right now on my gaming PC) is either half and half, or 60/40 in size. I have a C and D drive, I put all games/game saves/ music/ misc. files on D drive, and everytihng windows on C drive. I put games that I need te re-install after a reformat on C drive, and games I don't need to re-install on my D drive. I don't like having C drive to small, but that is just for my convienance. Win XP pro needs 1.5 gigs minimum.

[edit] also, I think it's easier to format with just 2 partitions. I like to format often, to keep my machine running smooth, it's easy to just shove stuff from C to D and you can quick format. I don't understand why you want so many partitions, but if that is what you are comfortable with, that's cool.

I myself like to keep my partitions to 20G each. Plenty of room for needed thing. If your heavy into gaming, make one at 40G. Some of the newer games can take up 6Gs just for the main install.