Hello all. Been lurking round here for a whle now, and it is sad that this is what it took to finally get me to post.

Anyhoo I've got a Dell Dimension 2300 (I think) running XP that's about 3-4 years old that has now decided to throw up the blue screen of death on occasion. The important points of the screen are as follows:

kernel_data_inpage_error

Technical information:

STOP: 0x0000007a (0xc03e475c, 0x000000e, 0xf91d7384, 0x0adcf860)

atapi.sys- Address 91D7384 base at F91CA000, DateStamp 41107b4d

Upon logging in after restarting from said screen, I get a message saying that Windows has encountered a serious error and to tell Microsoft about the problem. Based on what Microsoft says it could very well be a hardware problem, but nothing new has been installed (unless you count the time I tried to swap out the hard drive for a hamster's brain- never could get the smell out :blink: ) And my research on that specific code didn't turn up anything useful.

Ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Avast (all up to date) in Safe Mode and nothing came up.

So... anyone have any ideas on what the problem is and potential solutions? For obvious reasons I'd rather use Dell Tech Support as a last resort.

As you can see I'm having a lovely day -_- - how is everyone else's day going?

Hi Madscientist,

First of all, welcome to Besttechies! I lurked for a long time before joining, too. Bunch of great folks here. Hmmm, a mad scientist that uses hamsters in his computer??? You need to come to the Cafe in Open Chat and meet Macmarauder......you may be long lost brothers ;)

Mainly bumping this up to the top (yeah, I'm naughty that way)so more experts will see this, although Mike is an expert and probably on the right track, but I did play in Google, having some luck entering atapi.sys because that looked familiar to me (I have a Dell, too, probably from something I read from that) and it appears maybe to be something with the CD Rom?? Which would be a hardware problem like MS suggests... The sites didn't make any sense to me, but they might to one of the techies here (hint, hint!!). We don't want "Rita-from-India" to help Madscientist.....her method is System Restore....

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all.  Been lurking round here for a whle now, and it is sad that this is what it took to finally get me to post.

Anyhoo I've got a Dell Dimension 2300 (I think) running XP that's about 3-4 years old that has now decided to throw up the blue screen of death on occasion.    The important points of the screen are as follows:

kernel_data_inpage_error

Technical information:

STOP:  0x0000007a (0xc03e475c, 0x000000e, 0xf91d7384, 0x0adcf860)

atapi.sys- Address 91D7384 base at F91CA000, DateStamp 41107b4d

Upon logging in after restarting from said screen, I get a message saying that Windows has encountered a serious error and to tell Microsoft about the problem.  Based on what Microsoft says it could very well be a hardware problem, but nothing new has been installed (unless you count the time I tried to swap out the hard drive for a hamster's brain- never could get the smell out  :blink: )  And my research on that specific code didn't turn up anything useful.

Ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Avast (all up to date) in Safe Mode and nothing came up.

So... anyone have any ideas on what the problem is and potential solutions?  For obvious reasons I'd rather use Dell Tech Support as a last resort.

As you can see I'm having a lovely day -_- - how is everyone else's day going?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

atapi.sys is IDE related. perhaps u'r HD --> hampster swap did do something ;)

can u start in safe mode? if so, check u'r devicemanager for errors.

Hmm. If the second value in the parenthesis is 0xc000000e, it would appear that the status code is STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE. Not very encouraging. It looks like it usually indicates a hardware or firmware problem or the impending death of the HDD.

(An earlier version of the MS page linked above supposedly claimed that it can be caused by running XP on a slave HDD with no master on the channel, but that seem improbable in this case.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all !

First: sorry for the english... Mine is a bit rusty...

I've had the same problem with an IBM 40 GB HD.

I've tried many tricks after reading several hints on net forums (cable checking, mem test, disk test...)

In fact, I'm pretty sure the problem is relative to the disk instead of the system because my KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR occured twice with two different computers, both times during XP installation.

Does this help somebody ?

PS: The KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR occured with this message:

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE10203F4, 0xC0000000E, ...)

win32k.sys Address BF8ED7DD base at BF800000 Datestamp...