...fortunately it's set up strictly as a slave..and I've been pretty good about backing up my data files to dvd..and it's dying a slow death..so I've been able to move any critical data back to the c drive..

it's on a ata/133 pci card with updated drivers...and I've bought a Seagate with a 5 year warranty to replace it...my question is..what's the best way to remove the defective drive...?

any issues with just unplugging it(the maxtor) from the pci card..and plugging the new seagate..?

any help would be appreciated.. :thumbsup:

Hiya Wayne,

Not that I'm doubting your abilities to know that the drive is going bad, but curious what the symptoms are that lead you to that conclusion....I've seen some screwy errors that *look* like a bad drive when it was really the IDE controller....and since this is connected to a PCI card, that adds more/different possiblities.

As for swapping out the drives...it's as simple as you put it...pull the bad, make sure the jumper is on the right pins of the new one and throw it in....boot up, open disk management and format it..all set.

Hiya Wayne,

Not that I'm doubting your abilities to know that the drive is going bad, but curious what the symptoms are that lead you to that conclusion....I've seen some screwy errors that *look* like a bad drive when it was really the IDE controller....and since this is connected to a PCI card, that adds more/different possiblities.

As for swapping out the drives...it's as simple as you put it...pull the bad, make sure the jumper is on the right pins of the new one and throw it in....boot up, open disk management and format it..all set.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya..freeze ups when accessing my docs...which is on the slave..strange clicks and sounds from the drive..really slow start-ups/lockups of any program that used the drive to access data..strange and ominous error messages in the system event viewer..BUT what convinced me was the Maxtor drive diagnostic utility(powermax 4.21) that confirmed and advised of the drives eminent demise..

:blink::(:angry2:

very disappointing because this drive was my backup stategy for primary drive failures..sure didn't figure to have it fail so soon..but that said..i still have been burning my important files to dvd on a pretty regular schedule

cool..thanx :)

oh...speaking of jumpers since this is the only drive on the pci card..i assume that i should set it to cable select..and not slave

Hiya Wayne,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya..freeze ups when accessing my docs...which is on the slave..strange clicks and sounds from the drive..really slow start-ups/lockups of any program that used the drive to access data..strange and ominous error messages in the system event viewer..BUT what convinced me was the Maxtor drive diagnostic utility(powermax 4.21) that confirmed and advised of the drives eminent demise..

:blink::(:angry2:

very disappointing because this drive was my backup stategy for primary drive failures..sure didn't figure to have it fail so soon..but that said..i still have been burning my important files to dvd on a pretty regular schedule

cool..thanx :)

oh...speaking of jumpers since this is the only drive on the pci card..i assume that i should set it to cable select..and not slave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, simply put, when you first hooked up the drive, did you do anything special? if not, i don't think you'll need to do anything special to remove it :D.

Well, simply put, when you first hooked up the drive, did you do anything special? if not, i don't think you'll need to do anything special to remove it :D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

guess i should have been more specific..the Maxtor was partitioned into 3 drives...k..l..and m..i'd like to use those same drive letters on the new drive..when i remove the Maxtor i'm hoping those drive letters are still available..?

BTW..if you are anywhere near a Frys..they have a 200GB Seagate ultra ata/100 for $109.99 with an additional $50 rebate..net $59..but hurry the offer expires on 7-19 here in CA... i took the 160GB Seagate i bought at "Best" BUY back..

i really like the 5 year warranty seagate offers... :rolleyes::thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

guess i should have been more specific..the Maxtor was partitioned into 3 drives...k..l..and m..i'd like to use those same drive letters on the new drive..when i remove the Maxtor i'm hoping those drive letters are still available..?

BTW..if you are anywhere near a Frys..they have a 200GB Seagate ultra ata/100 for $109.99 with an additional $50 rebate..net $59..but hurry the offer expires on 7-19 here in CA... i took the 160GB Seagate i bought at "Best" BUY back..

i really like the 5 year warranty seagate offers... :rolleyes::thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a quick follow-up to this little adventure..removed bad and installed new Seagate 200GB drive with no problems..used the win xp disk management to initialize..partition..and format the new..very good documentation in the winxp help file and seagates website

had no issues with drive letters as i had worried about and now i'm just putting all the backed-up data back in place..had one bad set of back-up dvd's(nero backitup6.6...)..but had duplicated the data on another backup so i did not lose any data..made me mad though..as nero had confirmed/verified the data on the backup..but failed to "finalize" it..

as usual my slow and go approach worked out pretty well...but all for naught if i wasn't backing up my data on a regular schedule :thumbsup::blink::wacko: