The sleeve or ball bearings are probably wearing out. Just buy a new fan the same size and replace it. It could also be speeding up due to a temperature rise in which case you may need to blow the dust out of the heatsink and/or replace the thermal compound between the processor and heatsink.

so are you suggesting i buy a new FAN for my computer? I just switched on recently. When i open the case it's quiet but when the case is on it's loud

That sounds like you are experiencing cavitation where the airflow is compromised and with the case closed the fan cannot effectively exhaust air.

This may be caused by a dirty filter if your case has air filters, or by having to many exhaust fans and not enough intake.

Normally you place intake fans on the lower front of the case and exhaust in the top rear. Side fans (normally connected by ductwork to the cpu heatsink fan) should blow in.

• 4 weeks later...

You are right Pete, it sounds as if the case side is to close the the fan to me. Before upgrading to water cooling I had an aftermarket cooler for my cpu that was too close to the case side. It was a slower speed fan so I did not experience noise as the OP is hearing but I noticed about a 9C degree difference with out the case side on.

2 options i see with this issue 1 mod the case side by adding a additional hole above the fan, or get a new case that will allow more airflow. Or go with a cooler that has a side flow fan not a top flow fan.

Also Pete it is better to have more exhaust fans than intake. With more exhaust fans you get better cool air intake to the case (unless it is not a well ventilated case).

If you get a positive pressure in the case it means more heat build up vs negative pressure which draws in more cool air in a well ventilated case.