More Riaa Crap...

I know we ll knew this was coming.. the news of copy-protected CDs. Here's some info:

Executives at EMI Group on Monday said they planned to begin rolling out CDs with technology designed to limit copying. The technology allows buyers to burn onto CDs only three full copies of a disc's songs, and the burned discs cannot be copied.

We all know there is only a matter of time before people find a way around that, but we shouldn't have to do this.

About half the discs it releases in the United States today have the three-copy limit, and it plans to have a similar restriction on all its U.S. releases by the end of the year

More info:

http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cot...ack=1&cset=true

This is about the dozenth time they've rolled out copy-protected CDs in the last decade. None of the other programs survived much beyond the initial rollout and this one won't either. If it isn't withdrawn after consumer complaints, it'll be cracked.

Edited by jcl

You really think it wont last? I certainly hope it doesn't. I had no doubt that eventually it would be cracked, but I didn't think it would just role over and die.

Doesn't it violate some 'fare use' rule or something? That could lead to its termination..

Matt

You really think it wont last?  I certainly hope it doesn't.  I had no doubt that eventually it would be cracked, but I didn't think it would just role over and die.

History suggests that it will die. Copy-protection that's strong enough to impede the determined seems to invariable result in discs that can't be played by a regular audio systems, and copy-protection that's weak enough to be compatible is no problem to circumvent. Either way it ends up dead even if it's still on the market.

In this case it sounds like it's the copy-protection is partially software-enforced -- the discs themselves obviously can't track the number of copies made of a song -- and software copy-protection is hardly protection at all.

On the other hand, even ineffective copy-protection can be a deterrent because of the DMCA.

Doesn't it violate some 'fare use' rule or something?  That could lead to its termination..

Fair use is nothing more than a limitation of copyright. It doesn't come into play unless a copy is made and the potential for copyright infringement exists.

Edited by jcl
You really think it wont last?  I certainly hope it doesn't.  I had no doubt that eventually it would be cracked, but I didn't think it would just role over and die.

History suggests that it will die. Copy-protection that's strong enough to impede the determined seems to invariable result in discs that can't be played by a regular audio systems, and copy-protection that's weak enough to be compatible is no problem to circumvent. Either way it ends up dead even if it's still on the market.

In this case it sounds like it's the copy-protection is partially software-enforced -- the discs themselves obviously can't track the number of copies made of a song -- and software copy-protection is hardly protection at all.

On the other hand, even ineffective copy-protection can be a deterrent because of the DMCA.

Doesn't it violate some 'fare use' rule or something?  That could lead to its termination..

Fair use is nothing more than a limitation of copyright. It doesn't come into play unless a copy is made and the potential for copyright infringement exists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very good points jcl.

I can see where this has little chance of holding.

Matt

rules smulls. BLAAAAAH! when i pay for it i want to use it. yes everyone we need to start a fund for all those starving artist that need our help. how can we expect them to survive on just caviar and Champaign and bare riding around in their Bentleys. do you remember when musicians just wanted the enjoyment of making people feel better about their lives. HA! then the Execs took over and now it's nothing more than a business if factory bands and bling bling hip hop. besides far to many of them don't actually do anything to deserve what they get. don't get me wrong there's real hardworking talented people in the bis but there's far too many who just read their lines and say look at how cool i am, now buy my stuff.

I also agree that the RIAA is going about things all wrong!!

When VCRs were invented, did the television and movie industry go belly up? Nope

When the Dual Cassette Recorder Things were invented, did the music industry suffer? Nope.

Heh, as kids, we used to put the shoebox cassette recorder up to the radio......

Why the fuss with CD's??

If the record industry wants to make money,

1. Put out quality recordings. In "the old days", if there weren't at least 4 "hits" on an album, it wouldn't get recorded! Nowadays, its a phenomenal recording if it has 2 "hits" on it. Kids copy CDs because they aren't willing to pay that much money for one song they enjoy.

2. There are a lot of kids who do buy the CD and make a copy because they are to darned expensive to wreck or lose! If the record industry would just lower the price of CDs to about $5-7, the kids would just buy them without attempting to copy them. In the end, the industry would not only be heroes, but record sales would skyrocket!!

Sigh, I just wish the RIAA would quit worrying about their pocketbooks and look at the reasons why CDs get copied in the first place!!

Liz