Slow Internet Speed When Opening Web Pages

I have a cable modem and use Windows XP SP2

When I open a webpage it takes forever to open. Seems like the computer is searching and trying to open it. This started about a week ago. I have SpyBot and Adware and are both up to date. I regularly run these and empty my %temp% file and recycle bin.

Any suggestions? My cable company says its my computer but I honestly do not trust what they are saying.

Hope some one has an idea.

Hi LNKDES,

First of all, welcome to Besttechie!! I am a total noob, but there are many experts here that will hopefully double check my suggestions and give you even better advice. But I sometimes have the same problem you do.

Have you Control-Alt-Delete to open your Task Manager to see if there is something taking up a lot of juice? My son added "Middleman" to his AIM recently and since then, occasionally things slow down and AIM has been using 98% CPU, he "end tasks" AIM, restarts AIM, and all is well for a few days (he won't give up Middleman, he likes it).

Have you rebooted your cable modem? Shut down the computer, unplug the power on the modem (on my modem, it is the top wire), Charter Internet suggests for one minute, other companies may have different times, replug the power to the modem, wait for the lights to quit flickering (about another minute), and turn on the computer.

There was another member, Tymekiller, who had just awful problems with his cable internet---the company said it was his machine--and Tymekiller is a computer expert!!!. He finally had a technician come to his house and plug in his Company Laptop. Low and behold, it ended up being a bad connection on the outside of his house!!!! So keep bugging the Cable Company, especially if everything else on your computer works fine. Insist on someone coming out, after all you're paying for the service!

Again, welcome, and when the pages open quicker, hope to hear a lot more from you!!

Liz

hi LNKDES

welcome to besttechie.

try disabling your

desktop background and disable

screen saver for a start .

and post back you may have a hight jack

but try those first.

good luck

marty

For now I would suggest you run "System tools",do a disk cleanup then defrag your harddrive.

You can then go to Control Panel,Internet Option and clear your history.(I have mine set to clear every day)

If you have not all ready reboot your PC.

Try these and post back if it did not help.

hhhmmmmm. these are all very good suggestions. let me see what i can find.

what browser are you using?

i shall communicate with your computer now.

(unplugs phone cord from back of phone and places in mouth)

................. dial up modem noises .................

go into the preferences and check your proxies cause your computer says it hurts a little there, OOooo and it's said that it feels a little full of cahe. you might want to check your system connection proxies too.

one thing that you could do is download another browser and use it just to check and see if the problem lies with the browser or your system.

Thanks for those replies. Its nice to be able to get feed back on questions and not listen to some one on the other end of the phone saying "ITS YOUR COMPUTER SIR".

I will try those suggestions and get back.

Thanks again every one :rolleyes:

After you have cleaned out your cache and cookies, defragged your hard drive and cleaned up your system. And you still have problems. Try lspfix. It is a small program that repairs your communication protocall.

You mentioned you have Spybot, and Adaware, but do you also have a good updated antivirus and firewall, one of each? Have you scanned with your antivirus, or done any online ones?

Here is a link to a sticky thread on G4's Tech Support board, that has all kinds of good stuff, including online free antivirus scans to see if you are infected with anything.

G4 Tech Support board sticky thread of software links

Did this problem start after you added or removed anything? Updated something, changed out hardware, downloaded something? Or it just started out of the blue?

Have you tried system restore back to a point before this started?

Is the problem of slow webpages (all sites or just certain ones?) only on IE browser, or on Firefox if you have it, or other browser, too?

I also want to welcome you to these boards, and hope you solve your computer problems soon. Good luck.

P.S. Do you have an HP or Compaq computer, or a logitech keyboard? The reason I am asking is Spybot recently is again showing backweb and backweb lite as spyware to remove on it's scans, and if you have something that uses those things, such as HP or Compaq, it can cause some problems if you remove it.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

You mentioned you have Spybot, and Adaware, but do you also have a good updated antivirus and firewall, one of each? Have you scanned with your antivirus, or done any online ones?

I do have all of those and have tried them all.

Here is a link to a sticky thread on G4's Tech Support board, that has all kinds of good stuff, including online free antivirus scans to see if you are infected with anything.

G4 Tech Support board sticky thread of software links

Did this problem start after you added or removed anything? Updated something, changed out hardware, downloaded something? Or it just started out of the blue?

Have you tried system restore back to a point before this started?

Is the problem of slow webpages (all sites or just certain ones?) only on IE browser, or on Firefox if you have it, or other browser, too?

It started after a tech came to my house because I could not get onto the internet. He said a cable was routed from my cable box to the computer. Well after he left it was very very slow. It was working awesome up until that day he came. Its fast certain times but most of the time its very slow.I also want to welcome you to these boards, and hope you solve your computer problems soon. Good luck.

P.S. Do you have an HP or Compaq computer, or a logitech keyboard? The reason I am asking is Spybot recently is again showing backweb and backweb lite as spyware to remove on it's scans, and if you have something that uses those things, such as HP or Compaq, it can cause some problems if you remove it.

gateway

I dont know what to do. The cable company says its my computer.

God bless everyone.

well, i'm sure other people on this forum will back me up in saying that when they say its your computer, there is always the possibilities that its their wiring....so bug them enough so they send out a person to your house, if none of the easier methods work...

After you have cleaned out your cache and cookies, defragged your hard drive and cleaned up your system. And you still have problems. Try lspfix. It is a small program that repairs your communication protocall.

Can any computer run this software? What do I need to be careful of? Should I be in safe mode when I download it?

Thanks for your help.

"It started after a tech came to my house because I could not get onto the internet. He said a cable was routed from my cable box to the computer. Well after he left it was very very slow. It was working awesome up until that day he came. Its fast certain times but most of the time its very slow"

I say bug the cable company again and get someone back to look at it, especially if it started acting up after the tech was there originally--ask for a supervisor if they give you a hard time!! Write down EVERYTHING that you recall the tech guy did or told you, as it may help the "fix". I have a Gateway, too, (its possessed, by the way) and when the cable guy came to hook Internet Service up, it took 2 hours and many calls to HIS supervisor to get it working--I stayed out of the room but KNOW he dealt with many "Illegal Operation Boxes"

Also, found Tymekiller's "Having some Freaky...." Thread on page 4 of this chunk of the forum. If the link works right, it'll take you right there.

tymekiller's link

Liz

:D Thanks for all your replies. Its funny how when you bug them on the phone things seem to happen. Never had a tech here but my internet speed all of the sudden is very VERY fast.

I did learn quite a bit from all your replies so THANKS again....