Internet Infection Holds Files Hostage

Just another reason I trust my file cabinet over the computer with "valuable information"

WASHINGTON Computer users already anxious about viruses and identity theft have a new reason to worry: Hackers have found a way to lock up the electronic documents on your computer and then demand $200 to get them back.

Security researchers at San Diego-based Websense Inc. uncovered the unusual extortion plot when a corporate customer they would not identify fell victim to the infection, which encrypted files that included documents, photographs and spreadsheets.

A ransom note left behind included an e-mail address, and the attacker using the address later demanded $200 for the digital keys to the files.

"This is equivalent to someone coming into your home, putting your valuables in a safe and not telling you the combination," said Oliver Friedrichs, a sevurity manager for Symantec Corp.

The FBI said the scheme, which appears isolated, was unlike other Internet extortion crimes. Leading security and antivirus firms this week were updating protective software for companies and consumers to guard against this type of attack by "ransom ware".

"This seems fully malicious," said Joe Stewart, a researcher at Chicago-based Lurhq Corp. who studied the attack software. Stewart managed to unlock the infected computer files without paying.

Liz

That is kind of serious...wow...sounds like something i use to do to my little brother when we were a lot younger...I would lock him out of the house until he gave me what toy he had...LOL...

Good information LIZ, thanks

Oooops! I should have checked to see if anyone else had this story on the board before I posted my thread on it a few minutes ago. Sorry about that.

Isn't there enough for people, and companies, to worry about without a new type of computer attack out there?

A trojan encrypts your stuff taking it hostage, then extorts money to return it, but do they also steal all the id info while they are at it? I agree with Liz, use a file cabinet for private stuff.

I think any important work on computer should be regularly backed up to cd, then you could at least recover it to use on a clean computer until you got yours debugged.

Also check for your antivirus/firewall/antispyware/Windows updates often, and scan too.

Take care and stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

Really good to see you, Marsh Ox!! Pets the dog--yours? Hope you're feeling well. Apparently, some people HAVE been sleeping! :P Thanks for the info, hopefully I'm safe!

Liz