Wordpress 3.01 Installed: Worked like a charm using the latest.tar.gz package

Good Afternoon Everyone:

I recently installed Wordpress 3.01 from wordpresses website. I followed the instructions and made the wordpress database and set the permissions on it as required. I then moved the wordpress install to /var/www/blog for use by BBUS.

Now, I have a question relating to the permissions for the wordpress files. They are all Owner "www-data" Group "www-data" and the directory is also set up the same way, like this:

drwxr-xr-x 5 www-data www-data 4096 2010-09-03 11:56 blog

while the rest of the directory under blog/ is owner "buddy" Group "buddy"

Should I chown this directory to owner "buddy" group "buddy" or chown it root root. ot is there a preferrred way to make sure that a security problem does not exist with the permissions? I dont want to chown the blog directory until I am sure that wordpress won't break with the change. Apparently, I also had to chown the www directory so that I own it, so that I could upload and maintain the website as well, otherwise webstudio complains that it does not have permission to write to the directory, so I made that change.

Any assistance here would be extremely helpful ;)

Brian

Edited by baker7
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff:

Everything seems to be working correctly and was working correctly with the permissions that were set when she installed..........

I will leave /var/www/blog/ at "www-data" "www-data" - It seems to be a safe bet for the moment - Unless something changes with wordpress configs that require the change of owner or group, I won't change it.

Thanks,

Brian