Overheard At An Apple Store

Hi guys.

Thought you might like this:

I was in the local Apple store the other day and overheard a conversation about why Apple no longer supplies a Firewire cable with the new iPod Photos. It went something along these lines:

Customer: "So how come the iPod Photos don't come with a Firewire cable?"

Apple Sales rep: "Oh, we don't include them anymore because Firewire is being phased out. You don't need it."

Customer: "Really? So why do you sell it as an accessory?"

Apple Sales rep: "We keep them around for people with old computers."

Is Firewire going the way of Serial? :lol:

Nerelda is right firewire(AKA1394) is here for awhile.

While USB2 and firewire speeds are close to one another a lot of company's(camera) still use 1394/A for their cables.

Apple is looking to make more money on accessories than on the pod's,think in terms of some ebay sellers who charge 3-6 times more for shipping than they spend.... <_<

Maybe i am misunderstanding, but i thought Firewire was actually a little better compared to USB. I know USB has a big advantage in the "daisy chaining" department, but Firewire definitely will make a new means for data transfer...

2 of my 7 computers have firewire built in and work great with some of my cameras and my external HD

Actually, i remember reading that 1394 is about 50 times faster than USB 1.1, it could have been a different comparison, but i am pretty sure its this one....

Also, because IBM and a group of other companies made USB, apple made/adopted 1394; basically, Apple's answer to USB. I read that from a guide on how to install 1394 and usb into your computer.

I'm sure that firewire isn't going anywhere, not until apple makes/finds a new technology...

Hi guys.

Thought you might like this:

I was in the local Apple store the other day and overheard a conversation about why Apple no longer supplies a Firewire cable with the new iPod Photos. It went something along these lines:

Customer: "So how come the iPod Photos don't come with a Firewire cable?"

Apple Sales rep: "Oh, we don't include them anymore because Firewire is being phased out. You don't need it."

Customer: "Really? So why do you sell it as an accessory?"

Apple Sales rep: "We keep them around for people with old computers."

Is Firewire going the way of Serial? :lol:

This was meant to funny.

An example of sales people, even Apple's, not knowing what they are talking about.

:D I think you got everyone with that one, Joe!!! :D

I'm an old retail worker and I read it and thought it was funny--then I read the comments and thought, "well, I guess this IS an issue". I'm such a big noob (scored only 5% on the Nerd Test-pathetic) and therefore gullible--heck, I don't know what these gadgets are--so I didn't dare post a reply about clueless salespeople--thinking I misread the thing. :D

Liz

:D I think you got everyone with that one, Joe!!! :D

I'm an old retail worker and I read it and thought it was funny--then I read the comments and thought, "well, I guess this IS an issue". I'm such a big noob (scored only 5% on the Nerd Test-pathetic) and therefore gullible--heck, I don't know what these gadgets are--so I didn't dare post a reply about clueless salespeople--thinking I misread the thing. :D

Liz

Hi Liz.

We are all noobs in one way or the other.

I, for one, have no idea what a piljard is.

Explain?

I DO , however know all about Cookie Monsters and the Sesame St. crowd. :lol:

Joe

Hi Joe,

I can't even win at freecell and have never played a "computer game" in my life!!! :D My son has been playing in the arcades using my name and I told him to "Get a square under my name, Mister!!" So he did :) He told me that piljard is like billiards (which is another laugh because I'm the world's lousiest pool player!)

Someone actually read my profile!!! :D Still dissapointed about that....cookies are NOT a sometimes food!

Liz