Well, I FINALLY got SP 2 installed and got it to work on my box. I also got the 18 updates to finally download and install, too, so my OS is finally up to date. Those of you that are regulars have seen my posts about my troubles in getting this done.

There are still a couple of little glitches yet. If I try to open the security center in the control panel, I get ONLY the title bar showing on the screen that says "security center" and then everything freezes up for about 10 seconds and then the computer shuts itself off and reboots itself. Well, I guess I just won't try to open the security center and then things work just fine! Go figure!!!

The other thing is I have a program loading at boot up called "KernelFaultCheck" and it's command line is "%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k" and it is being loaded under the 'HKey_Local_Machine Run' registry key. I have never seen or noticed this particular program or command before. Is this something that is needed now that SP 2 is installed or can I just un-check it and not have it load everytime the computer starts?

Anybody have any ideas on these two things??

Thanks...Jim

Have you seen this??

(OK I have used this link on 3 different PC's mine with XP pro SP2,one with XP home SP2 and one with ME with full updates.)

[NON of them have had any trouble at all]

Note:On the ME machine all I did was click the link.

If you have any problems with this link PLEASE PM me and tell me what happened.

Have not had the first one happen that I recall,not able to help much there,sorry.

Hi Jimras,

Have you googled the KernelFaultCheck? I did to see what it was and there were directions to disable it----but is this process turning off a part of Windows that may be important???? The "Disclaimer" paragraph sounds scary and I didn't understand the bottom paragraph at all!! I'm preparing for SP2 as soon as Son is through with school and am looking for potential problems ('cause they'll probably happen to me!) so if you could keep us posted on your tweaking, this chicken would appreciate it! :)

From Google: (I still haven't quite conquered links by myself)

"N kernelfaultcheck dumprep 0 -k Used in connection with memory dumps - you can disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out

DISCLAIMER: It is assumed that users are familiar with the operating system they are using and comfortable with making the suggested changes. I will not be held responsible if changes you make cause a system failure.

This is NOT a list of tasks/processes taken from Task Manager or the Close Program window (CTRL+ALT+DEL) but a list of startup applications, although you will find some of them listed via this method. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL identifies programs that are currently running - not necessarily at startup. For a list of tasks/processes you should try WinTasks 5 Standard/Professional from LIUtilities or the list at AnswersThatWork. Therefore, before ending a task/process via CTRL+ALT+DEL just because it has an "X" recommendation, please check whether it's in MSCONFIG or the registry first. An example would be "svchost.exe" - which doesn't appear in either under normal conditions but does via CTRL+ALT+DEL. If in doubt, don't do anything."

Congratulations jimras on doing the SP2, and I hope you will get the bugs out soon.

I don't have any info on the issues you are having. Sorry.

Liz, here is my method of doing a url link.

Bring up the site/page you want to link to, go to the address bar of that page showing the url, right click on the url, click copy.

Then on the thread you are posting it on, left click the http grey box at the top of reply. (here it is above the words Open Tags.)

That will bring up a little box. Now you need to use your backspace key to get rid of the "http", so box is empty.

So now paste in your url by right clicking on line and clicking paste. Hit OK.

That will bring up another box. Backspace out the word "text" to have empty space to type in whatever you want to label your link. Click ok.

It will automatically put it in your reply post.

My method is somewhat different from the way others do it, but I think it eliminates a step or two, and also helps me remember to get rid of the extra http (one will be in the copied link). Try a few practise runs on a reply, check it out in preview, cancel reply if it didn't work right, by using your back button to exit out of it if you want to.

I hope that helps you get the hang of it. It took me awhile, I kept forgetting to get rid of extra http and then it wouldn't work. But keep working on it, you'll get it figured out I'm sure.

God bless everyone.

Thanks Sidekickcat,

You solved what I was doing wrong with erasing the extra http in the box! I kept getting 2 https in a row and I KNEW that wasn't right (and proved it by it not working!) Thank you!

Jimras, How's the dilemma going???

Liz

Well, right now everything is working OK except for not being able to open the security panel. If I just leave that alone, then everything else seems to be working fine. Now Windows XP loads to desktop in about 35 seconds from switch on. This is good!!

I have found a couple of games that I used to play don't seem to work right at this time but I should be able to work out the conflicts there. All in all, I guess the SP2 was successful.

Time will tell.............

HI Blim

I use a program called "startup.exe" and this lets me know

what's loaded and where. I unchecked the box for that process and

it doesn't load anymore and everything seems to be fine.

Hi Handplane

I did what you said but the choices in the startup box were automatic, manual, or disabled

The one that was already there was automatic so I left it alone

Jimras, is "startup.exe" the thing from Tenmm's link (for some reason that link made my computer act a little wonky so I don't want to click it again unless I have to) , something inside windows or something else entirely? (Hope I'm not being a pest :blink: ) Liz

Hi Tenmm,

Aww, you disabled the link?? I feel really bad about that :( The truth is I don't really remember exactly what happened when I clicked the link and was about to try it again.

But seems to me that the idiot box slowed way down and there was a pop-up box or two, which usually doesn't happen on the Dell---oh, and there was a clicking noise in the speakers like a mouse click but I wasn't using the mouse--but it may have been something wonky on this machine or most likely my internet connection. No blue screens or freezes anything major, (a little wonky not really wonky!) so re-enable that link so more may be helped! (then I'll try it again, too and I'll let you know if it does anything weird :) )

Liz

Hi guys

The Startup.exe program that I referred to is by Mike Lin

and the complete title is "Startup Control Panel 2.8 by Mike Lin

You can find it here: www.mlin.net

Hope this helps.

Jim

And I just tried it again and it worked perfectly.  Must have been something on my end that day. I'm so sorry to cause trouble :(  Thanks for enabling it again!!

Liz

It was not your fault,and it was no trouble.

I wanted to make sure there was nothing about the site or the link to the site, that could be a problem.

I have tried to my limited ability to make sure that any link I post is safe to use,how ever it is possible for me to mess up now and then.

Welcome too the world of SP2,I hope you have your guardian angle standing by for any necessary overtime :blink: