Sober email worm (Sober-N)

For the non clickers...Source: Xatrix Security

A new variant of the Sober email worm (Sober-N) is spreading rapidly across the net, as an infected ZIP attachment to messages written in German or English, and only infects Windows machines. More than 86,700 emails containing the new Sober-N were sent to UK businesses since the early hours of Tuesday morning. Most anti-virus vendors rate Sober as a medium-risk worm. Sober-N is the fourteenth incarnation of a worm first seen in October 2003. Standard defence precautions against viral attacks apply in defending against Sober-N: corporates should consider blocking executables at the gateway and update anti-virus signature definition files to detect the virus. Home users should also update anti-virus tools and resist the temptation to open suspicious-looking emails.

Surf Safe!

It is funny how you mention the .zip files. Yesterday evening, one of my end users thought he received an email from his brother containing pictures in a .zip file. Well when the file was unzipped it started its course. It wasn't the Sober strand but it was a vaiant of an email worm (Trojan.tooso)...Thanks for the update Echobay!!

Hi Echobay,

Thanks for the warning! --forwarding info to Son's girlfriend--her computer is a Virus Magnet.

Sigh....my kids get so tired of me saying "Don't open any attachments until you confirm with the sender that it is legit!!!" I'm a broken record sometimes.... <_< Liz

Thanks for the warning Echobay.

Norton Antivirus had a good sized update both yesterday and today. So I figured the bad guys were getting more active.

Here is a link to the Symantec/Norton list of current bad dudes. Click on any one of them to get more info, including removal tools if available.

Seems like some are just continuing to mutate. (Like the scum who devise such evil garbage.)

Symantec Security Response

Yes I keep telling my hubby, don't just click on attachments (or anything else!) willynilly. And leave the email on our isp's webmail service, we don't need it on Outlook, in our computer. It is easy for him to leave problems for IT guys at work, but at home it is up to me to solve. Though I think I am finally getting him to listen about safety, I hope.

God bless everyone.

thanks echobay

there are always some one trying us out .

and if it wasnt for posts like this we would be in the [what you sit down to do]

at one stage i was so paranoid it was painful for me to leave my desk top.

but through boards like this i feel as tho im no longer an apprentice.

thanks again.

marty