Windows Update, In Reverse

This is one of the extreme unusual things I have come across working with Windows over the years, and I can't seem to figure it out or why. You have you Window wierd's everyonce in the while, but like I said this is the bread winner.

I was doing the Update for XP. Downloaded then, and started the install. Well it jumped to 5% quickly and sat there for a few moments. Next percentage mark was 35%, okay great nothing unusual, but then there is where is went "wack". It started counting backwards from 35% to 34% to 33% and down. I stopped it at 31% and removed the file I just downloaded for updating. I re-downloaded the file and started the install once again. The exact same thing happened. It reaches 35% and started to count down. So I let it run until is reach 1% and then it prompted me to restart the computer to make it affective and also said the install was completed succesfully. Three things: Why? How? What? :huh::blink:

I am at a complete loss. Everything is great, running fine, no virus, spyware, adware, nothing inside my system that I haven't put there. This has only happened on my office computer and no of the other computers on the network. This is about the strangest thing I have ever seen happen, especially with an update. Does anyone have a suggestion on how this could have happened? I don't know where to begin to check and other than uninstalling the update and re-installing it to see if it happens again, I am stuck... :unsure::unsure:

---------------------------- after laughing for a few minutes ----------------------------

i'm sorry but it's really bad when even M$ updates don't want to be on a computer with windows. once it realized that it was going on the computer with windows it took it's self off.

i had absolutely no idea where to start but give me a minute to think and i might come up with something.

lol Mac you figured it out already :lol:

That is very strange, don't have xp so can't help. I'm moving more and more to linux except for work stuff that's only available on winders m/c's. I get more disillusioned by windows. I think Bill has some secret plan to control every computer in the world (for example the sp2 update that you will do if you want to or not) :ph34r:

Hey Vile_Dr...Theses were the only updates that i found Xp offered most recently ..

KB890859 on 4/13/2005

KB890923 on 4/13/2005

KB893066 on 4/13/2005

KB893086 on 4/13/2005

KB893803 on 4/13/2005

i swear there was one more ..i can't for the life of me find it...i could have sworn the update was a (6 pack )..Anyway...The DLing breaks up the files so nice for you to see which Update is DLing..Then when it goes to install it's like.. "OK we'll take it from here peon". You didn't get a chance to catch the file that "reversed" did ya?

LOL... BTechie's gonna need a Forum called "Wall of Weird For WIndows"...

Nope, I don't recall the fix that was causing the reverse. I have done about 15-20 more quick updates on my network computers, and there is still on the one machine. It might not have been the update itself, but something the machine "wanted" to do. I can list all the applications and job processes I had running, but none of them were any different from the standard Windows processes other than my CA Anti-Virus or M$ Anti-spyware tool...I checked early this morning on the computer using Netcat and Nessus to see if any ports were open that weren't supposed to be. I found an opening on Port 995, but that was the SSL connection to gmail.google. It reported an connection error, but that would even mess with the update counting down. This seems to be something that maybe a higher lvl memory error. Something inside the Windows directory could have been installed incorrectly, corrupted and this patch was going to cover the "holes" and couldn't because the intended files were already damaged. I have emailed Support.Windows and waiting for a reply. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll keep everyone updated on what may have happened as I continue to search for any "problems." If anyone else has any other suggestions I am definitely open for them. :)

It's cool echobay...I am not one to "grip" about conversations. Also I think the idea about making a forum "Windows Wall of Wierd" is a great idea, I would have posts coming out of my ears in there, I am sure all of us would... :D

Hey V...

i don't know why i'm always in such a hurry to blame updates... i'm curious to hear what support has to offer.Ya know FFR.i didn't have trouble with the install but my rig did lock up while DLing the updates i assumed a BW issue.Finally got 'em.The install was uneventful. i did have other issues but...i... ummm hijacked Darrens thread about that ...Gez i DO byte... i am interested in the, mystery that is windows though, so appreciate your updates to your post.

Alright guys I have narrowed it down to a few possibilities. My anti-virus program E-trust (Computer Associates), classified KB893066 as a harmful install. Here is the link to what this hotfix did, or was supposed to do... Microsoft HotFix.

With the AV thinking it was a harmful install, the hotfix was never completely installed, it was quarantined by the AV. I removed that particular patch and re-DL from M$ and of course went to reinstall it. Well this time I got an error, which I didn't write down, nor take a screen print of it for future record. The error reported on my sqlservr.exe process was corrupt. Running a Google/Support.M$ search for it, found at that is was the reporting excutable that links with my network firewall SNWL (SonicWALL).

After finding this information, it turned out to be real easy to install the hotfix and haven't had any problems since about 3:30pm yesterday afternoon, when this was the only issue pending. Because my machine DL's the report from the firewall every morning as well as the Anti-Virus Server Machine, these particular items were combined to cause what looked like a good install with a reverse count percentage, if that makes sense. I disabled the LocalArea connection to the network and quickly re-installed the update and boom everything was done.

I would like to thank everyone again for their support and suggestions/comments. It is just screwy sometimes how a simple TCP/IP fix turns out to be disable the TCP/IP fix...lol... B)