I am running WinXP Pro SP1 and my burning program is Nero Express.

I was having trouble with my CDRW drive. It didn't always seem to want to read the disks that I put in there and I think it might have been dirty. I used a "cleaner" disc that had like little brushes on it and that didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. I had another CDRW drive sitting around so I put it in the computer and I can see it in Explorer and I can copy from it just fine.

The problem is that when I go to make a data disk, I try to write the files to that drive but it doesn't copy them onto the disc. It writes them to the "virtual disk" If I open Explorer, it says "files ready to be written to disk" but then I have to right click on that message and say "burn" and then it will go to work. I also noticed that auto-play doesn't work on that drive and Nero Express doesn't recognize the drive anymore, either.

This is really wierd and I don't know if I need to change some settings or what.

I don't know if it's a software problem or a hardware problem. The new drive worked just fine in another computer that was running Win98.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried unistalling then reinstalling Nero? Have you tried to update Nero? Did your version of Nero come with your other burner therefore it is proprietary?

Windows XP CD Burning Secrets

Can't Write To CD-RW Drive

Check your ASPI layer. These describe the ASPI layer.

Radified Guide to ASPI Drivers

ForceASPI v1.7

Use these to check that your APSI layer is installed correctly.

For version 4.60

aspi_chk.exe

For version 4.71.2

aspichk_4712.exe