Dell Has Ne Linux Pc.. But ..

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/f...s=04&l=en&s=bsd

the only problem I see is this..

when you click the ? by OS you get this statment

All Operating Systems include Windows XP Service Pack 2

The Operating System is one of the most important programs that runs on your computer.

Every PC must have an operating system to run other programs. Operating systems perform basic tasks such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the monitor, keeping track of files and directories on the hard disk, and controlling devices such as disk drives and printers.

Your overall computing experience can be greatly enhanced by choosing the right operating system for your needs. Dell's recommendations are below.

Recommendations Details Why Windows XP Pro

Buy... If you...

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

Dell recommends if you need optimal networking and security capabilities.

* Primarily use a notebook

* Want unique mobility features that include improved network support, remote PC and file/folder access and improved data security

* Want simplified access to networks and domains

* Want the flexibility of using your home business computer for personal/family needs while maintaining security

* Want to connect to your computer from any other Internet connected Windows-based computer

* Connect to large networks (your external office)

* Want a higher level of data security protection

* Use Offline Files and Folders - access to files & folders on a network share when disconnected from the server

* Want to more easily restore your computer in the event of a catastrophic failure

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

Dell Recommends if you have basic needs.

* Want the Microsoft® operating system that has been optimized for your business needs.

would ford try and sell a car but recomend a chevy engian?? this is why linux fails.. tey shoudl recomend Linux on the Linux PC.. this is stupid.. and then htey wonder why non-computer people will not buy it with linux on it..

Your link shows two Dell© PCs, one with FreeDOS the other with Red Hat. I see no problem, until you click the little "?". That contains the standard "Dell©" answer.

Don't fret that they recommend XP, then sell you linux. Linux is soo different from Windows it's impossible to support. Red Hat only supports if you use only Red Hat approved stuff because Linux is so changable. Windows is the same everytime, linux can be ANY arrangement of packages with a linux kernel. So that's one reason support is scarce, and no one will sell a PC w/o support. At least, to normal people.

Your link shows two Dell© PCs, one with FreeDOS the other with Red Hat. I see no problem, until you click the little "?". That contains the standard "Dell©" answer.

Don't fret that they recommend XP, then sell you linux. Linux is soo different from Windows it's impossible to support. Red Hat only supports if you use only Red Hat approved stuff because Linux is so changable. Windows is the same everytime, linux can be ANY arrangement of packages with a linux kernel. So that's one reason support is scarce, and no one will sell a PC w/o support. At least, to normal people.

hmm I don't follow..

XP is always standard until you install service pack what ever.. or driver what ever or program what ever then they have problem supporting..

Red hat will support all supported hardware the same as Microsoft..

In this case Dell supports Red Hat with this hardware.. I know they will not support you if you call and say .. hay I installed Gentoo and such and such does not work....

but then dell will support the hardware no matter the OS ( I have called on my laptop and I run Gentoo and once I proved to tech support it was hardware.. no problem they replaced it.)

the problem is everyday Joe.. goes to dell to by a computer.. see's this one with Linux and has heard of Linux but heard its hard to install (XP is hard to install for most people)

but if it comes pre-installed on a computer he is willing to try...

he goes to the page, hits the ? thinking he will get more information on this Red Hat OS .. nope he is told by Dell to buy XP instead if he wants more security (can you sue for slander here??) or must connect to other windows computer (never heard of SAMBA and LISA) or needed to do about anything a person does on a computer...

then Dell will say in 6 Months.. their is no reason for us to sell Linux on a PC as most people keep asking to put Windows on it... I wonder why..

the common man has no clue..

Red Hat Workstation is the same as XP when it comes to support.. They installed it the same as XP and they knwo what packages and they know the updates Red Hat puts out..

If you support Red Hat or SUSE I can make that support work with any other Linux Distribution.. They really are not that different.. its a matter of really knowing how it works...

I like the ideal they are selling.. but lets put it this way

I have a new server with AMD Processes and I mostly sell Intel. People have used AMD in the enterprise but Intel is the standard.. but its cheaper to use AMD and get the same power.. SO I make the server..

I create a sale page to see if AMD processor will sell in a enterprise server..

when a enterprise customer clicks the ? next to the processors is says that I suggest Intel processors for a more stable environment..

how many AMD servers will I sell???

edit --- sorry I can't spell

Edited by iccaros