The Besttechie Cafe'

zucchiniectomy?

Hahaha! that's funny. What was wrong with them? I lost my cukes this year to some kinda something that made the plants just wilt and die, just as they were beginning to produce. Seems all the cukes in this area are "tough" this year, not crisp and crunchy.

Yes I cage my plants with 6"x6" reinforcing wire from the concrete company. They sell it in 5'x10' sections. that makes a cage 5' tall and about 3-4' across. You can plant 6 tomato plants in it. I have only two Better Boy plants this year and I've been picking 3 to 6 a day now for 2 weeks.

Mac... what's up with that budget? Did they say, "we have $200 let's make a movie"? Or did they say "let make a movie, how much do we need?" Good thing you don't have to buy film and developing these days...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for intraveinous coffee. Plug in and go.

Macmarauder, I read Daughter your post--she said, "well if I lived in Colorado, I'd work for cheetos!!"

By the way, her back is fine now (hooray, no more backrubs, I can get stuff done now!)

Liz

zucchiniectomy?

Hahaha! that's funny. What was wrong with them? I lost my cukes this year to some kinda something that made the plants just wilt and die, just as they were beginning to produce. Seems all the cukes in this area are "tough" this year, not crisp and crunchy.

Yes I cage my plants with 6"x6" reinforcing wire from the concrete company. They sell it in 5'x10' sections. that makes a cage 5' tall and about 3-4' across. You can plant 6 tomato plants in it. I have only two Better Boy plants this year and I've been picking 3 to 6 a day now for 2 weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those zucchini were the "heirloom" plants I bought that had such punk flavor. I finally got tired of trying to find a way to fix them so they'd taste good. Just wasting the other good food. Though hubby sort of liked them sliced crosswise and breaded then fried, or else raw. But still not as good as the usual ones I get.

As for the cages, I have always wanted to try the concrete reinforcing wire for sturdy cages. Never could convince hubby though.

Like Liz's, mine really grow tall, so they now overlap the 4 foot round cages I have and now are headed back downward again. I only have 4 plants this year, usually do 5 or 6.

I suckered them quite a bit early on, and trimmed lower leaves to allow plenty of air to them, and gave them an extra dose of Gardens Alive's Tomatoes Alive food, because so many in area were hit hard by late blight earlier in summer, and that is best way to fight it. So far am ok. Did learn this year that early blight actually happens time-wise after late blight. Huh! The article in paper said he didn't know why it is named that way. So luckily I didn't have any problems. But the increased plant food sure made them grow, so now a good trim is coming in near future if only to be able to see ripe tomatoes. Also the plants are so big and heavy, that the cages needed to be propped up with stakes to keep them upright. I may have another talk with hubby about a better cage system for next year.

Sorry about your cukes! I sort of remember something about a wilt that hits them, if I can find the info I will let you know. Are you sure it wasn't a slug attack or some borer? If they do enough damage, the plant can't get nutrients and wilts down.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Macmarauder, I read Daughter your post--she said, "well if I lived in Colorado, I'd work for cheetos!!" 

By the way, her back is fine now (hooray, no more backrubs, I can get stuff done now!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's good cause that's all i can pay :lol::lol::lol:

we just decided to do a few fake commercials first just for fun and to see if we can even get everything we need together. Markos' the Destructor in a bunny suit for a Koldike bar. it'll take a few weeks but i'll post a small sized video of them as we get them done. we just did a thinking session for ideas and came up with some whoppers and a couple of ideas for my books.

Mac... what's up with that budget? Did they say, "we have $200 let's make a movie"? Or did they say "let make a movie, how much do we need?" Good thing you don't have to buy film and developing these days...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know i know. but hey that's the essence of independent film. so what if we've only got 1/10,000 of the money a old vhs camera and only my little 8 year old mac to edit with and it's my first attempt at anything like this before. miiiiinor details! lets make a movie, they won't know what hit them. :)

we'll just have to rely on our brains to extra cleaver and brilliant and make alot of funny references to good movies. i guess we'll see. i still say that it's so much easier to make a movie now with effects than 10 20 30 years ago. now i can just load the video into my computer and do what ever i want with it.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post this before I go to bed in a few minutes.

This is a notification that everything is ok, so you don't have to worry.

I was busy today, and then spent some time at G$ trying to help someone, then PM'd a couple of people to do the tech expert stuff, maybe even HJT logs. Didn't want to send kid here, as it took about 20 posts including other people on thread to get enough info from him to pretty much determine my original guess probably right. Figured he'd be the same way here. I hope he gets it solved.

I will have the computer unplugged tonight and tomorrow, as the state is to get some thunderstorms but hopefully no lightening caused fires. Some rain sure would be nice too!!!

So anyhow I promised before that I would try to let you know if I was going to take off again. :rolleyes:

So now I return the boards to their normal peaceful life. See you all later.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Pat, good luck with the storms!! Boy, the wildfires have been awful in your neck of the woods, hope you get some good drenching rains.

Ahhhh, first day of school......peace and quiet......Almost noon and the telephone hasn't rung once :)

Liz

Pat, good luck with the storms!!  Boy, the wildfires have been awful in your neck of the woods, hope you get some good drenching rains.

Ahhhh, first day of school......peace and quiet......Almost noon and the telephone hasn't rung once  :)

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Immediately calls Liz*

Pat, good luck with the storms!!  Boy, the wildfires have been awful in your neck of the woods, hope you get some good drenching rains.

Ahhhh, first day of school......peace and quiet......Almost noon and the telephone hasn't rung once  :)

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Immediately calls Liz*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ohhhh no it's begun! :matrix::):mellow::o:unsure::wacko:

Thanks for the coffee cake bozodog, yummm!!!

Checking in here before bed, wanted to tell everyone we're ok.

Thunderstorms only hit our NW corner of Oregon, SW corner of Washington, instead of whole state.

I hate to admit it because I still hate them, but we've had so many of them this year, that I am almost getting used to them.

So in spite of us doing errands around town, and being caught in fierce downpours with the whole shebang of a storm cell sitting on our heads so to speak while in traffic then waiting it out in a parking lot once, we survived it ok.. That one cell was said to have produced an inch and a half of water in about 15 to 20 minutes a few miles from where we were, and it sure seemed that much where we were.

Others we were in not quite that bad, until we got home (to a freaked out cat due to heavy storm earlier I guess), anyhow about a half hour later we had another one go through, that dumped another inch or so in next 45 minutes. I really don't think I meant that much rain when I said we needed some, but it was ok for most part, with only minor flooding in some areas. Oh Yeah Liz, we had "some good drenching rains". :rolleyes:

I shouldn't have even mentioned it really, considering what others in path of that hurricane had.

Take care folks.

Make everyday a "Hug A Loved One" day.

And since I love you all...here is my hug. :wub:

Pat.

God bless everyone

Ack, a gizzilion things to do today. (why am I online?? Waiting to see if Daughter calls for lunch, in case she forgot to bring one)

Gotta pay property taxes--I wait til the very last day they're due. My little form of protest.

Gotta get a new calculator and a Flash Drive Thingy (don't worry, folks, the description is all written down! I'll grab a salesman and hand the note over and say "I need this" :) ) for Son's classes. He's taking a C++ class (whatever that is, hopefully it won't be his grade). At least he'll have plenty of homework help here! Hate to make that 50 mile round trip with the gas prices, though.

Discovered a flap on the front of the Dell that pulls up and has plug ins for headphones and that Flash Thing. Had the idiot box for 3 years and never knew it existed until I asked Son if there is a place for him to plug the Flash Thing into :blush: At least we don't have to buy a new computer to accomodate the class--have a feeling that if we did, he'd be spending a lot of time at the library's computers!

Then my Nut with a Walker called and said, "while you're out, get me another lamp and my cigarettes".

Then to try to find time to trim the climbing rosebushes, since the city picks up branches tomorrow. I just KNEW I should have done that yesterday.....Thought about taking the cordless phone out and trim bushes while waiting to see if Daughter calls, but nooooo, she drained the batteries!!!!

See you all when the sun goes down, if I'm back by then.

Liz

Edited by blim

ohhh so much work. i hate running around doing errands. that's what i mostly did for my dad way back when. but once in a great while i'd get something cool to drive. :D

the flash thingy is a like a mini storage device for computer file.

C++ is a programing language for computer.

tell daughter no more talking to the Dali Lama about Rice Ball recipes after 8.

Oohh dang. It's amazing how busy a day can get when doing errands.. Here, there, everywhere, for this, that, and other stuff... Jeesch! Then ya get home and have to use/put away all that stuff.

Liz, you are an ANGEL for helping the "nut with a walker", because I know it takes a whole day weekly out of your life. (God is watching)

Macmaruader, I read Daughter my reference to her and your reply.

D- "I don't like rice balls"

Me- "You've never even had rice balls"

D- "yes I have, that soup recipe that your Grandmother made--those things floating in it were nasty!!"

Me- sigh, "those were Matzo Balls, sweetheart"

D- " Oh, well then tell him 'I don't like matzo balls'"

God love her. Not all blondes have yellow hair (but she does)

Got the errands done. Dropped the lamp and cigarettes off to the "Nut" before I left for Muskegon, so I couldn't visit! ;)

Of course, Son had to check out his Flash Thingy. Opened the flap on the computer and---it wouldn't plug in!! Just under the plug is curved and the stick is straight (so I guess we don't know what that plug is for) So Son announced "I can stick it in the back of the computer" So he:

Pulled Tower out of the desk

Vacuumed the dust bunnies out

Unplugged speaker wires pulling the tower out

Decided to push tower back in and pull the desk out

Vacuumed dust bunnies out from under the desk

Vacuumed up his new Flash Thingy

Hollered and cussed

I took the vacuum bag outside, cut it open, fished out the Flash Thingy

Vacuumed the Flash Thingy off

It worked

Then he went to Soccer practice and I had to put the room back together and console the dog because of all the vacuuming

What moms do for their kids.....Oy vey.

Liz

Macmaruader, I read Daughter my reference to her and your reply.

D- "I don't like rice balls"

Me- "You've never even had rice balls"

D- "yes I have, that soup recipe that your Grandmother made--those things floating in it were nasty!!"

Me- sigh, "those were Matzo Balls, sweetheart"

D- " Oh, well then tell him 'I don't like matzo balls'"

God love her.  Not all blondes have yellow hair (but she does)

Got the errands done.  Dropped the lamp and cigarettes off to the "Nut" before I left for Muskegon, so I couldn't visit!  ;)

Of course, Son had to check out his Flash Thingy.  Opened the flap on the computer and---it wouldn't plug in!!  Just under the plug is curved and the stick is straight (so I guess we don't know what that plug is for)  So Son announced "I can stick it in the back of the computer" So he:

Pulled Tower out of the desk

Vacuumed the dust bunnies out

Unplugged speaker wires pulling the tower out

Decided to push tower back in and pull the desk out

Vacuumed dust bunnies out from under the desk

Vacuumed up his new Flash Thingy

Hollered and cussed

I took the vacuum bag outside, cut it open, fished out the Flash Thingy

Vacuumed the Flash Thingy off

It worked

Then he went to Soccer practice and I had to put the room back together and console the dog because of all the vacuuming

What moms do for their kids.....Oy vey.

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

(reads some more)

HAA HAA HAA HAA!!!!

(falls over)

HAA HA HA HA HAA!!

i was referencing the Dali Lama because he doesn't like Rice Balls and yes your probably right, those were matzo balls.

son sucking up the flash drive was just plan funny.

Hey Liz, I've been to your neck of the woods a couple of times. My ex-inlaws lived in Grand Haven. I didn't care for them all that much (he called by my wifes first husband's name several times). Drove around Muskegon, Holland and Grand Rapids. It's really pretty up there. Grand Haven has a pretty cool water and light show on the lake. The reason I could be talked into going was we would spend several days on the way up and back and catch some Cubs games. That's Heaven.....a warm day at Wrigley field and the Cubbies win. I love Chicago.