The Besttechie Cafe'

Thanks Liz, I needed a good laugh for the day. :thumbsup:

The only major accomplishment I did today was to give the tomato plants a 'shave and haircut'. They have needed a good trimming for awhile, but the heavy showers Monday really drooped them down. Did find several unknown ripe tomatoes in the center of the plants, so glad I trimmed them today.

That is a good way to force the plant to expend more energy towards ripening fruit before frosty weather. Another method is to take a spade and just use it like a knife straight down around the plant about a foot to a foot and a half (depending on size of plant) out from plant center. That shocks the roots into getting busy with ripening fruit faster. I have never heard why that works, but have tried both methods over the years. Use the 'shave and haircut' method the most, unless I got a late start planting them in the Spring, then I do both around Labor Day.

Forgot to mention it, here's some nice ripe tomatoes folks. That are delicious this year!!!

Are rice balls those 'porcupine' meatball thingys? I never did like those. Though do like stuffed green peppers with same combination...oh well. :rolleyes:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She wouldn't get it, Macmarauder....

And yes, never a dull moment around here at the Crazy House...."just a housewife" doesn't exactly describe my occupation (but I love it)

Makai, that's cool that you've been to "my neck of the woods". Montague/Whitehall (there is only a river seperating the two towns) is a lot like Grand Haven, only a lot smaller. Whitehall is the "tourist trap" but Montague has the better beaches. We keep them a secret :)

And Cubbies!!! Yea! Sox, too, I root for both (interesting with a Detroit Fan Hubby) I was born and "somewhat raised" in Hinsdale, 20 minutes west of Chicago (moved up here when I was 10). Gotta love the baseball. And White Castle Hamburgers. And Brookfield Zoo. And O'hare. Aw, I'm getting homesick.

Sidekickcat, I trim up my tomatoes, too. Never tried the root pruning, but I'll have to. It's supposed to put the plants into a "state of panic" so they'll work overtime, never thought of trying it on tomatoes. Betcha it would work great on the pepper plants, as they aren't really suited for our area, unless we get a nice hot summer.

Liz

I don't know about root pruning the pepper plants, might try it on only one or two to see how they do. I have found they are more persnickety about being disturbed for any reason. Tried to brace them when they were really overloaded one year and they nearly croaked on me. I think it was due to braces disturbing their roots ever so slightly.

A couple of things that work with peppers is to put plastic sheeting loosely draped over them. Peppers like tops warm, roots cool. Be sure to lift the plastic the next day when the sun heats things up. That works for tomatoes too.

And end of season, you can uproot peppers and hang upside down from a rafter in basement or garage to finish ripening them up.

And for the end of season for tomatoes, pick all of them, and wipe off dirt/water, then place in brown paper bags (close tops of bags so the tomatoes don't dry out and shrivel up). I have had them ripen and last for several weeks that way. Of course you have to check on them every few days to make sure none are rotting. The ones that don't finish ripening that way, just use in any green tomato recipe.

Mac thanks for the link, and never mind that Liz's daughter had that go right over her head...by the way loved the step ladder part of that remark...well it went over my head too, I'm only 5'4". Ha Ha! Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

Man, I sure love fresh tomato season. I cringe at the thought of "winter", over priced, tastless, store bought ones. Heh, big sale this week. 77 cents a pound for dehydrated Romas. They were so poor looking, I wonder if any were sold. (and I only paid 79 cents a plant for a whole seasons worth)

Hi All!!

Nice and quiet here today, Daughter's working, Son's off to Holland with his girlfriend, Hubby's sleeping (third shifter and he had to work last night), laundry's on the line.

Soooo, does anybody have any interesting plans for the long weekend? Only thing planned here is one last trip to the Marina on Sunday, last day of entertainment there till June. The sidewalks are starting to roll up around here.

Other than that, I'll just be playing in the garden.

Oh!!! Bozodog, I DID find the groundhog's exit hole--he dug from one end of the porch to the opposite end beyond the sidewalk/patio, must have had quite the den. Well camoflauged--in between the snapdragons. Took a big rock to plug that up :)

Those are some great garden tips, Pat. I'll have to try the plastic sheeting as our nights are already getting cool. I start my peppers in tomato cages right off the bat (to protect them from little feet) and they sure work when they become overloaded. Ah, it will be nice to have a pepper crop!! It's always hit and miss up here, last year we didn't even get a single banana pepper.

Have a good day, everyone!

Liz

Edited by blim
Oh!!! Bozodog, I DID find the groundhog's exit hole
I told ya... Bozo spotted one in our neighbors yard yesterday. (the one that uses truck exhaust) So they are denning up for winter. I know I won't get one in my yard because of the "pack". We found a very dead possum the other day. Beware furry creatures that enter Bozo's yard, he has back up.

For the weekend? We decided to conserve fuel and just stay home. Moved the garden shed today and have to get the gate, fences, pavers, and tools back in order. Plan on some BBQ, just cheese burgers tonite, but tomorrow shrimp and chicken shish ka bob. Laid in pleanty of beers too... I really wanted to go to the lake, but.......... 100+ miles in a car that gets 16mpg, at $3? Not! We have a nice 5 day weekend planned for the end of October out there, so we'll wait it out. (and save for it) We always seem to find something fun for the two of us to do. Must still be the honeymooner luvy duver stuff.

Conserving fuel here too. Painting the hall, two story one, curry gold is the color . Just yellow to me haha. Also helping the daughter and son in law move. They are almost done thankfully. Got to mow the grass again too.

Painting huh? Sweet Brit painted all the last two weeks at a 3200 sq.ft. house my friend is building. "miles of ceilings" he said, cathedral at that.

Mow the lawn? Hmm, not here. No rain for weeks, only grass that's grown is the edges around some plantings I've watered.

I have some veggies to put up, the car needs cleaning, and I believe a trip to the river for the dogs to have a game of "sticks in the water" Heh heh and the Nextel race. (I hate the west coast races, Busch race started at 8:30 pm last nite)*wonders what that racing gas costs a gallon?

Soooo, does anybody have any interesting plans for the long weekend?  Only thing planned here is one last trip to the Marina on Sunday, last day of entertainment there till June.  The sidewalks are starting to roll up around here.

Other than that, I'll just be playing in the garden.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i was gona BBQ and relax today but friday i got busy aand i don't feel like messing with fire right now anymore :P instead mother is brining turkey and mashed potatos and icecream.

he he it feels godd to be treated like a kid for a little while.

enjoy your weekend guys :thumbsup: and hug your kids :wub: espwcially when they don't want it :P

Hi Mac, Haven't seen much of you lately, have missed you!!!

OK What did you set on fire that you " don't feel like messing with fire right now anymore." So what happened and are you ok??? and is the house still standing? :rolleyes:

"and hug your kids espwcially when they don't want it" Good advice!!!!

And Kids of all ages, hug your folks!!! :wub: You never know what tomorrow holds in store!!!

Well so far all we have done, is hubby tore out some old gutters on porch, and the board behind that was rotted. Got the new stuff to replace it, and he got it primed, painted, then I helped him put it up. OH MY!!! how I hate being up high on ladders, even the super-safe Little Giants, but I did it and survived it all. :thumbsup: He of course did 99% of the work, after all I only signed on as helpmate. Ha! Actually my back was hurting alot, but did the stuff I needed to do to help him get them up. Sure sore afterwards, but it is starting to feel some better now.

Egg salad sandwiches with some of the last of the Walla Walla sweet onions and the delicious tomatoes from garden (ran out of bacon and not making special trip to the store). Yummmy!!! Hope you all like them.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Hi Mac, Haven't seen much of you lately, have missed you!!!

OK What did you set on fire that you " don't feel like messing with fire right now anymore." So what happened and are you ok??? and is the house still standing? :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks, i'm fine though. don't worry about me, there's plenty of other people that have real problems right now.

well i hope everyone had a better day than me today. stuck at home with nothing to do but think. bad bad bad things happen when i do that. so i posted a bit and that didn't go well today but fine. i can't work on anything in the shop for a few more days so i'll just have to do something else to keep myself occupied. so all i did was think about how i wanted to ask someone out months ago and by the time i got up the courage a friend did and they've been together since and she hangs around us all the time and she just gets on everyones nerves. like i said it's a bad bad bad thing for me to just sit around thinking. i think that the only way that people can stand spending the rest of their lives with one other person is if they find someone like them. well i honestly don't think that there is anyone like me out there. i'm serious for those who don't really know me well. they people who know me well know just how different i am from, well, anyone. it's like i have my own category sometimes.

so i've got question for the married people on here. just how different are you from your spouse?

sorry for gripping, i had a long hard day today and darnit i should never have nothing to do cause this stuff happens.

Gotta agree with Mike--opposites attract. In fact, Hubby and I couldn't stand eachother when we first met (heh, heh, heh, we met because I was dating his best friend....!) Goes to show "you never know".

And more of "you never know", Son is "madly in love" with his ex-girlfriend's former best friend. That's how they met. Everytime he AIMed with her, he laughed. I kept telling him, "you need to date this girl, she makes you laugh, your girlfriend just p*sses you off"...Who knows, maybe things won't work out between your buddy and this girl, and then jump at the chance!

Liz

Edited by blim

yeah i know but i don't want to be one of those guys that gets in between them and i already have a had time doing anything that even just maybe might hurt someone else. i've never even been in a fight with anyone unless it was to save someone else. i know i know i'm a softy. i can't even cut in line. "arrrg"

I know you're a softy, too!! (but I won't tell anyone, honest....ooops I just did, didn't I?) That's why you just have to "wait and see" with this girl. If "someone dumps someone", it wasn't meant to be, just make sure you be there to make her feel better :)

Liz

Edited by blim
and she hangs around us all the time and she just gets on everyones nerves.

What is attractive about her? Heh heh, and just what nerve of yours is she gettin on?

I met my Sweet Brit on-line early last year. Everytime we chatted on IRC we found we had more and more in common. We ended up spending hours and hours chatting and sharing many things about ourselves.

He hopped the big pond Dec. 30, 04 and we married in March. And folks, it keeps getting better. We are kinda opposites, I'm short, 5'5" 30 pounds too chunky. He's 6'4" pretty lean. He has a Computer Science degree, I still don't understand this personal "confuser", and don't have a formal education. Being from the UK, he's never owned land and lived in a flat with 61 other apartments. I own my home and have 40 acres to retire on. The first time he drove my GMC Safari, he said he never drove anything so big. I have the mechanical head and he's the thinker.

You have time Mac, I'm 58 and this is my first marrage. And I'm sooooo happy!