I went to Trend Micro Housecall to do a security scan of my computer. I am running windows 98 SE. The scan reported to me that there were 2 vulnerabilities in my computer.

1. Critical This remote code execution vulnerability exists in the processing of PNG image formats. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected system. (then it references) MSO5-009 for a fix.

---when I go to windows update to search for critical updates, it isnt there. When I go to the manual download page http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en I see that it references Windows XP. It also has a list of EXE files to download. There is a section in the FAQ addressing windows 98 being affected but it just sends me to the update page which finds nothing. Im a bit confused as to what to do, and why the windows update isnt picking up this critical update, but the scanner is.

2. Moderate A denial of service (DoS) vulnerability exists in Outlook Express that could cause the said program to fail. The malformed email should be removed before restarting Outlook Express in order to regain its normal operation. (then it references) MS04-018 for a fix. (Im still working on this one)

As for the first if you are using MSN Messenger 6.1 than the update is needed. The .exe files are by language so if you want English the update starts with EN.

EN\SetupDL.exe I don't recommend anyone using MSN Messenger or any other IM program for they all have issues dealing with security. In fact I uninstall MSN Messenger thereby closing the security risk. If you enjoy using IM try Trillian even though they just discovered a buffer overflow problem with it.

Regarding the second update all it does is stop the file with ~ under it from being placed on your desktop due to a change in the address book. It is not a supported fix for 98. When the file is placed upon the desktop just delete it. There is no harm therefore no problems shall arise.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75