when we all thought it was a nono

the compt i have it on is very small but there is plenty of scope for it

any one got any ideas

i do not think ile use it

because i have xp vista ubuntu

but i havent found any bugs in win me yet

any one comment

marty

IMO, ME is like Vista: Both got lackluster aftermarket support and wound up with a bad reputation as a result. There were no serious flaws, just the usual changes required to work with an OS update. I don't know if people just weren't ready, or weren't willing to do the work that's usually necessary for a new OS (better hardware, newer drivers, different GUI, etc.). I had a roommate that used ME without incident.

thanks

i suppose a sys is only as good as the user

but ime intrigued with these updates 91 in all

and they fit on a small sys

the hdd is a 6.8

ram 128

cpu 400

these i could increase

but it is only an experement

thanks again

marty

I never had a problem with WinME; but like Win98 it is a thing of the past.

No longer does Microsoft release new security updates for it; so any new exploit discovered is wide open.

Likewise few if any third party manufacturers bother to make versions compatible with it any more so that you are stuck using older versions which have vulnerabilities including zero day exploits where malware on a site can disable your antivirus and firewall, install silently without confirmation or even alerting you that it is installing and worse.

I think one reason it got a bad rap was so many people who decided to "upgrade" to the new OS when it came out just for bragging rights without bothering to make sure their system was compatible and capable of running it smoothly. They were frustrated by the impact that system restore had and the lack of familiar tools like system file checker. Even many manufacturers made the mistake of selling machines which should not have been running ME with it installed just so they could sell them as WindowsME the new OS. It did have many improvements; like a far better defrag and fdisk than win98 came out with .

In its day, on machines designed for it it was a good OS. But now it is an OS better retired, like win3.11, win95 and win 98.

So if you still have an old machine and want to use ME, you should really not be going online ; and if you do limit what you do to safe sites and do not put anything important (banking, credit transactions etc ) on it; and be ready to reinstall it if it gets messed up. Good for a guest or kids beginning computer that you wipe and clean install whenever you find something bad; or for offline uses , photoshopping and printing your pictures or as a video server for example.

But if you intend on using it like a regular computer you are better off getting a light linux version which is up to date.

But if you intend on using it like a regular computer you are better off getting a light linux version which is up to date.

Agreed. A friend of the family recently gave me an older Compaq running an AMD 850 MHz, with 320 MB RAM. It had Win ME and was unusable. This isn't the fault of the OS, but, rather the previous owner as Win ME was loaded with malware, etc.

I'm setting the unit up with Debian 5.0 for my 6 year old daughter. It runs well.

thanks team

as you say it isnt perservering with

tho i have it on line

for me it was an experiment

some thing i had heard about but never experienced

i respect petes info

but it has made me wiser

thanks agian

marty