Help Needed With Re-installation Of Windows Xp - Urgent!

Ok so - here is the problem. My laptop is phucked. Literally. The only solution is to re-install windows XP, but setup is not recognising the hard-drive. To install the SATA drivers, I need a floppy disk, something which I have, but have no disk drives for - all my computers haven't found need for floppies in YEARS. And I need the Laptop fixed and in working condition by tomorrow! HALP!!!

*EDIT*

As it has become evident, my main comp DOES have a connected, updated Floppy Drive, but every time I try to access it, explorer.exe phails. So any help on that would be also appreciated. Oh, and also any info on how to find out my SATA/RAID details on my (phucked) laptop would be also very appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :ph34r:

Edited by 3mbrace

Does it show at all in the BIOS? Do you get any error messages? It should show unless it is bad. All you should have to do is to make sure that your CDROM or CD/RW is the first boot choice and put the disc in and go from there. You can change the boot order in the BIOS. When you bootup, you should see what will take you to the BIOS. F2 or some other F key.

Edited by MrBill
Does it show at all in the BIOS? Do you get any error messages? It should show unless it is bad. All you should have to do is to make sure that your CDROM or CD/RW is the first boot choice and put the disc in and go from there. You can change the boot order in the BIOS. When you bootup, you should see what will take you to the BIOS. F2 or some other F key.

Done all that, and more.

I have seen some laptop bios setups(more common in desktops) that allow you to change the sata controllers to "Ide Mode" This does not hurt performance and will allow Windows to see the drives as IDE and use the built in IDE drivers. This would be the ideal solution.

The second solution is to build a slipstreamed disc with the SATA drivers installed. These drivers are needed for windows to see the sata controller and your drive This tutorial will show you how.

What model is your laptop? I can try and help you with more info.

I have seen some laptop bios setups(more common in desktops) that allow you to change the sata controllers to "Ide Mode" This does not hurt performance and will allow Windows to see the drives as IDE and use the built in IDE drivers. This would be the ideal solution.

The second solution is to build a slipstreamed disc with the SATA drivers installed. These drivers are needed for windows to see the sata controller and your drive This tutorial will show you how.

What model is your laptop? I can try and help you with more info.

Thanks, but ufortunately the (outdate) laptop has no such setting in the BIOS.

The laptop model is a HP pavillion DV500...

restart the laptop press the dell key to go to the bios setup.

you can use any keys to go to the bios setup.

disable the floppy drive option and make the CD ROM as the first boot device and hard disk as the second boot device . click save and quit.

restart the laptop. put the bootable disk into the CD ROM.

press any key to continue the setup .

windows will installed only follow the disk instructions.