Java Doesn't Work After System Restore

I did a system restore on my PC. I rolled it back 3 days, and now Java doesn't work. Java links don't respond on IE7, and when I try to bring up System Restore again, it comes up as a blank page.

I ran malware bytes to see if it could detect any malware, it seemed to come back clean. I also ran the microsoft scan and it came back clean.

I Can't run Kapersky, because it won't respond to clicking on the link. I also tried reinstalling Java, but that did not have any effect on the issue.

I am truly at a loss here.

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

Every disk I put in is being rejected as the wrong disk.

I'm assuming the this computer is a pre-built unit, such as a Dell or HP?

Do you have an original Windows CD or the CD's that came with the computer?

Well, if you can boot to both os, and you know which one is the old version you boot to it.

You then locate the folder the new one installed to (IE if old is C:\Windows, new is probably C:\Winnt) delete that folder (it won't allow you to delete the folder for the version you are booted to ) and then go to start / run and type msconfig

on the boot.ini tab click check all boot paths and it will discover the new version is gone and remove the boot option.

Did you try uninstall all java and then download the latest version?

http://www.java.com/getjava/

The links not working is generally caused by one or more of the following dll files being deregistered as a result of changes you made (such as system restore to before an IE update)

To fix it go to start / run and type

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

hit enter

Wait for it to say entry complete

Repeat for each of the following

regsvr32 Shell32.dll

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Thanks for all of the advice. I took the PC to a local computer shop who restored / reloaded the OS for me.

I am now using XP Home edition, couldn't find the XP Media Center disk, so, he used what I had. (I actually thought that it was the right disk, but obviously not.)

Only issue now is I can't figure out how to ge the PC to recognize the TV tuner card and watch tv on the PC, but that is the least of my worries at this point.