during a boot time scan of a associates notebook I removed almost 20 trojans so I cannot remember what was running from the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts but now there are hidden files mostly movie titles .zip files.

I calculated the list of fonts and it should contain 95mb of fonts yet Properties on the folder says 2.83 gig.

a few people on the net have had this problem but none have given any good answer what to do.

Folder options do no good. I have never seen this before and I would like to return the notebook soon.

XP home

Dell Inspirion 9300

2g ram

2GHZ pent. Centrino

160g HDD

This is an old method of loading trojans. Basically if it is in the fonts folder, windows loads / runs it when it boots kind of like if it was in start menu starup folder ; but most people never think of this as a path.

My font folder is about 35MB by the way.

This is an old method of loading trojans. Basically if it is in the fonts folder, windows loads / runs it when it boots kind of like if it was in start menu starup folder ; but most people never think of this as a path.

My font folder is about 35MB by the way.

Any idea how to recover that space Pete? I'm sure the Trojan is gone it just worries me that the files are there. On my personal Computers I'm contantly looking for space hogs.

Thanks for you reply Pete

Preston

Yeah, only fonts belong in the font folder. Anything else does not belong there and you can safely delete

Should just have files with extension ttf, fon, pfm, (well the fonts for dos, system set etc have no extension but are recognizably fonts and will have filename starting with USE

Well, hijackthis has a delete on reboot feature where you type in the path and name

Then there is killbox / pocket killbox and move on boot and several other forceware deleters.

If avast finds them, try running it in safe mode and see if it can delete them there.

Do you have view hidden and system files checked in folder options? And "hide protected files" and "hide known file extensions" unchecked? If not do so.