Switch From Outlook Express To Outlook 2007

I let a buddy know about the Office 2007 deal on MicroSoft's site (the whole shebang for $59, if you're a student) and he's lovin' it. However, he has no idea how to switch from Outlook Express to Outlook 2007. I helped, as much as I can (don't use XP/Vista) but it got to a point where it asked us to type in all the technical aspects of his e-mail account (I'm not there now so I forget, IP address? POP address?) and neither of us knows how to find that stuff out.

I would'a thought Outlook could find that automatically but apparently not. I haven't had to do that stuff in at least a decade, where to start?

-----

I just realized, duh, the MicroSoft site HAS to have detailed instructions ...

Edited by JDoors

Nope, you have to set up the mail account manually.

It will not import the old emails; they are in a different format.

So unless he has his email set to keep a copy on the server , he will not have access to them in Outlook.

My recommendation is to set up a gmail account and enable pop access and configure outlook to check it, and set the original email account to forward a copy to gmail (or gmail to fetch a copy from the other account).

I (very) vaguely remember it has to be done manually (mostly from people saying, "How stupid is that?"), but since my tech knowledge is out-of-date had hoped for some progress.

He's got an Internet business goin' and had been getting his mail via the web. "Enable POP access and configure Outlook to check it" means .... what?

Ah that makes it easier.

If he has been logging in through the web interface then probably any mail he wanted to save is saved on the server (like with gmail).

Just find the POP and SMTP setup for that particular ISP email and set up the account in Outlook.

I suggest making sure "save a copy on the server" is selected so it does not delete all his mail from the server.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....mp;answer=13273

Is a guide for doing it with gmail.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75291

I don't know if it is the same, but I have Office 2003.

Tell him to open up outlook personal folders (email), at the top look for "?" (question mark) not the word (help) click that and menu opens up, click "table of contents" and a long list appears, and I think email is the first one.

Another option is, in same screen, at the top is "options" mail setup etc.

Also same screen, at the top, click tools, email accounts.

That is all I can tell you, as I set mine up a long time ago,and have forgotten how I did it. This is a start.

Good luck

Barb

Edited by bar5