I like to do a clean install including reformat every year or so just to clean up my computer. In the past, I have always had Win 95 and then Win 98 OEM versions and there was no problem doing a reinstall of these OS's

I have been running Win XP Pro for the last year and am ready to do my clean up and I understand that after I reinstall the OS, I am going to have to re-activate (re register??) my XP Pro and that the OS won't let me reinstall without some kind of new "key" number.

Now, I bought the XP upgrade so I REALLY do own it. Am I going to have problems when it comes time to re-activate the OS? What is the procedure to get this "key" that I have heard about???

The other question is should I try to install SP2 when I do the reinstall?? I have tried three times to get the SP 2 to install and every time, I ran into problems where the computer locked up and I ended up uninstalling the SP2 and have been running with just SP1 without any problems.

I DON'T use IE for my browser and I DON'T use Outlook for my Email, either because of the security concerns.

Anybody want to offer any opinions?? Thanks in advance for any input.

Jim

Here is my input. If you have done 98 pc with the XP cd not the restore cd you will have no problems at all.

ALl you do is add the code on the cd case and they will check it online then you will be set.

Its just about the same as a 98 OS but you must put that code in there.

Hope this helps you some. If you need any help during the process just ask here.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the SP2 upgrade last year and developed a problem with "application hang", everytime I right-clicked on a drop down menu my computer would freeze or I'd get a dialogue box for the printer I didn't have. I couldn't reach M$ in their ivory tower either. I ended up wiping the drive clean, doing a re-install w/SP1 on a new WD 80 gig. I use Mozilla Suite and Mozilla mail. I haven't had a problem since. I think I'll re-install the dual boot with the Suse Linux 9.1 Professional. :)

Hi jimras

Really, if your XP install is still running stable there is not much reason to reinstall the OS but many folks still do this as habit from the older MS OS's, which really did need a reinstall after some time usually.

Heck, even I'll reinstall XP Pro if I get frustrated enough with stuff...

OK, XP will install WITHOUT activation (not registration..you need not ever register if you wish not to) and will work for 30 days or 50 boots, but it will stop after that. Activation is painless and is done in two stages. First way is after you have booted to the CD and installed WINDOWS, the computer will reboot (leave CD in but do NOT boot to CD) and will run thru a setup process. During this process you have to enter the Product Key from the XP CD case. After setup runs and reboots the computer again it should (not always as I've found out recently) run another small setup process which will ask if you wish to activate your copy over the internet now. You can click yes and it will activate over a secure connection so no worries about no firewall or AV installed yet.

If this other setup process doesn't run and it boots to the OS right away, you will be prompted to activate WINDOWS pretty much right away and again....you never need to Register, you only need to Activate with MS.

No need to call MS unless there is a problem with the activation process and it is really more a PITA than anything else as it is all rather painless and the call is toll free. You talk to an automated female voice...(kinda sexy) and she walks you thru what you need to do.

Hope this helps ease your worries somewhat

Dave

P.S - If the need to call MS to activate arises, it is all prompted to you on your computer screen by the internal Product Activation applet which will give you the toll free number according to your location and walk you thru the entire process.